Minorcan Datil Pepper Hot Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
My mom gave me a bottle of this hot sauce & I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried it or heard of it before. She got it in St. Augustine, Florida. It has tomatoes, onions, honey, vinegar, bell peppers, brown sugar, datil peppers, worcestershire sauce, molasses, salt, & pepper in it. I've never evn heard od datil peppers. What do they look like & how hot are they? It says on the bottle that datil peppers are unique to the St. Augustine area.

Here is an interesting article for you Crewsk. I can't wait to hear what you think of the sauce. It sounds like an interesting pepper.

Had forgotten about Dat'l Do-it.

We used to live in Orlando and would go to St. Augustine every so ofter, a great place to go.

We were able to find Dar'l Do-It hot sauce in both places as I recall.

We are tenderfoot chile heads, like hot stuff and eat a lot of it, but we have our definite limits.

Found the Datil product very good, and found the website where we can order some.

Thanks for reminding us of it.

I tried it & love it. I had some chicken leftover from supper the other night & used the sauce on that as a dip. It's sweet, spicy, & very thick. Not overwhlemingly hot, just enough to let you know it's there. I'm looking forward to trying it on other stuff very soon!

crewsk said:
It says on the bottle that datil peppers are unique to the St. Augustine area.

Yes, apparently they are, but they're a type of chile called capsicum chinense, which also includes the Habanero, the Ají Dulce, the Scotch Bonnet, - you can find versions of them all across the Caribbean. Tasty stuff!

Used to live in Port Orange Florida, and got "addicted" to Datil Devil Drops. Just this week found a local source for them. It was always a great excuse to go to Saint Augestine.

datil pepper sauce

This sauce is distinct for Minorcans, my relatives. My family has grown the peppers for 100s of years. It is a strong and sometimes hot pepper but the most flavorful you will ever put on your foods. Minorcans was fishermen until the migrated to New Smyrna, FL To this day they are know for their fish recipes and wonderful pastries. The seeds are available on the net but not easy to grow out here in California. Several times I have tried to make them sprout but I think they prefer FL. Good luck...and try it on pulled pork and chix. Awesome.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom