Mushroom & Dill Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoupDragon

Assistant Cook
OK guys, i'm planning on doing a mushroom and dill sauce for some baked Halibut steaks and I want to know if this sauce is going to work.

Heat saute pan.
Add chopped shallot, finely chopped mushrooms and a little wine vinegar.
When vinegar has nearly gone add a glass of white wine and reduce.
When wine has almost gone add chicken stock and reduce.
When stock has almost gone add heavy cream and dill and reduce.
When I have required consistency, season, strain and serve.

Have I missed anything?
Thanks in advance!:)

Looks relatively fine to me, but why strain? I think I'd like this sauce a lot better as is/unstrained. I also don't think you need to do all that reducing. I'd add the white wine & chicken stock at the same time & reduce it a little, then use the cream & dill to finish it. No more reducing necessary.

Looks relatively fine to me, but why strain? I think I'd like this sauce a lot better as is/unstrained. I also don't think you need to do all that reducing. I'd add the white wine & chicken stock at the same time & reduce it a little, then use the cream & dill to finish it. No more reducing necessary.

I was going to strain but I guess you're right, a little texture is necessary. I'll definitely do as you say regarding the reducing though! Any time saved is fine by me!:)

Another good point for not straining is that you're serving what's essentially a white sauce over a white fish. Leaving in the solids will give you some specks of color. You might also want to save a sprig or 2 of the dill (chopped or unchopped) to garnish the fish when it's plated. Pleasing to the eye nearly always makes things more pleasing to the mouth.:chef:

So that sounds delicious...

Like almost everyone know im a newbie at cooking..But I love to learn knew stuff . So I have a question i've never cook with alcool such as wine or beer .. What does it do? does it give you taste or thicken the sauce ??

So that sounds delicious...

Like almost everyone know im a newbie at cooking..But I love to learn knew stuff . So I have a question i've never cook with alcool such as wine or beer .. What does it do? does it give you taste or thicken the sauce ??

It gives flavor to the dish - the aim is to get as much of the raw alcohol
out of the wine/whiskey leaving it's essence - but you really never get all the alcohol out.

Back
Top Bottom