Originally Posted by Kayelle
Your recipe looks right on, FP....I love the stuff.
I never heard of that kind of mushroom before. I couldn't help but laugh at the picture of it thinking of how one of our members (don't remember who)
recently said they hated mushrooms so much she couldn't stand to look at them. Hope she doesn't see this.....it could cause nightmares.
Never heard of them before either. I was frightened when I first saw it too. Apparently they are one of the few mushrooms you harvest in Fall, grow on either oaks or elms and produce for years. I looked it up, perfectly safe as are most Fall mushrooms. There are HoW fanatics out there. The French have been using them for many years. I soaked the monster in salt water and rinsed to get rid of bugs. First time I sautéed in butter and garlic with a bit of worchest sauce, OMG! It dehydrates very well, and when frozen, lasts for years. That said,our supply is almost gone.
Texture is like escargot. Really firm and meaty, holds up great in slow cooking. We have Morels for a short time here in Spring, and there are poisonous posers for any Spring mushrooms.
Next Fall, look to the trees. There might be a Hen nesting there.