Mushroom gravy for Thanksgiving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

profnot

Cook
Someone gave me a big bag of trumpet mushrooms so I made the gravy for Thanksgiving dinner today and froze it.

First I cooked a few pieces of bacon, leaving the fat in the pan. (Had the bacon for lunch.)

Then carmelized chopped onion in the fat. Then added chopped mushrooms and cooked until the water evaporated.

I had some sage compound herb butter in the freezer from summer, so I added that.

In went low-salt beef broth, 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar, and some freshly ground pepper.

Then I put some of the broth with a bit of melted herb butter and a few tablespoons of flower into a mini food processor and ran it until smooth. This mixture was added to the gravy. Cooked on low for several minutes then added chicken broth until I got the consistency I wanted.

Gravy was transferred to containers and frozen. On Thanksgiving, I'll reheat slowly and stir in a bit of cream.

So how do the rest of you thicken your holiday or any day meat based gravy?

My mother taught me to put some flour in a jar with enough water and some Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet (about a teaspoon), put a lid on the jar and shake like mad. Slowly add to the juices in the pan stirring constantly. I have never had a failure.

If there aren't enough juices, use chicken stock or BTB turkey or other meat based seasoning with water. There is no need to run out of gravy.

I use roux to thicken gravy. If I'm rushed, I might use corn starch. Doesn't the flour shaken in water still taste of raw flour?

...Doesn't the flour shaken in water still taste of raw flour?

As with any flour thickened gravy, you simmer it for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. As Emeril says, the gravy doesn't reach its full thickness until it reaches a boil.

You could pour that over an old shoe and it would tadte good.

Nice job.

At first I thought you were looking for ideas for mushroom gravy. I was going to post my red wine/crimini recipe, but I see now that you were just blowing your own trumpet mushroom...

I use roux to thicken gravy. If I'm rushed, I might use corn starch. Doesn't the flour shaken in water still taste of raw flour?

No. You are adding it to the juices in the roasting pan slowly with just a simmer going. I also allow the gravy to cool down some when it is not quite thick as I want it. It gives the fat a chance to come to the surface and remove as much as I need to. Then I turn the heat back on and finish thickening it.

What I don't like about cornstarch is that the gravy tends to want to separate later.

As with any flour thickened gravy, you simmer it for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. As Emeril says, the gravy doesn't reach its full thickness until it reaches a boil.
I separate the juices from the fat, cook the flour in the fat and then add the juices and stock I've already made. I've added a flour slurry before and the gravy ended up tasting floury.

I separate the juices from the fat, cook the flour in the fat and then add the juices and stock I've already made. I've added a flour slurry before and the gravy ended up tasting floury.
That's what I find too. Maybe some of us are more sensitive to that flavour.

We've never noticed anything off with flour-water slurry gravy. Good thing, too, because I'm too lazy to make it the other way! Besides, I'm so slow in the kitchen and it takes me so long to get everything ready that the flour taste has managed to cook out anyway.

I usually make gravy this way also. But sometimes I make a softened butter and flour "paste" and add that to thicken my gravy. Then allow it to sit on a low simmer after it boils to remove any uncooked flavor.

Last edited:

I usually make gravy this way also. But sometimes I make a softened butter and flour "paste" and add that to thicken my gravy. Then allow it to sit on a low simmer after it boils to remove any uncooked flavor.

We have gravy made with a roux and gravy made with beurre manié. Two more ways to make a great make great gravy.

My mum taught me many years ago, if say you are roasting a chicken or turkey, I use an oven bag, cook,pour juices into a jug. If roasting veges in dripping or oil, when they are done , take veges out,drain fat or oil, leave a few tablespoons in the pan, put on the element,sprinkle salt and flour over and scrape it to stop burning then add the juices from the bird. I also add a teaspoon of Vegemite.
My gravy is good.

Russ

So how do the rest of you thicken your holiday or any day meat based gravy?

My mother taught me to put some flour in a jar with enough water and some Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet (about a teaspoon), put a lid on the jar and shake like mad. Slowly add to the juices in the pan stirring constantly. I have never had a failure.

If there aren't enough juices, use chicken stock or BTB turkey or other meat based seasoning with water. There is no need to run out of gravy.

This is how my mother did it and it's how I usually do it if I can't make roux. I usually try to boil off any water in the drippings, then make a roux from the remaining fat. I then mix in the water or milk (depending on the type of gravy I'm making), and finally season to taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom