"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #1
Cook

Mushroom gravy for Thanksgiving

Someone gave me a big bag of trumpet mushrooms so I made the gravy for Thanksgiving dinner today and froze it.

First I cooked a few pieces of bacon, leaving the fat in the pan. (Had the bacon for lunch.)

Then carmelized chopped onion in the fat. Then added chopped mushrooms and cooked until the water evaporated.

I had some sage compound herb butter in the freezer from summer, so I added that.

In went low-salt beef broth, 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar, and some freshly ground pepper.

Then I put some of the broth with a bit of melted herb butter and a few tablespoons of flower into a mini food processor and ran it until smooth. This mixture was added to the gravy. Cooked on low for several minutes then added chicken broth until I got the consistency I wanted.

Gravy was transferred to containers and frozen. On Thanksgiving, I'll reheat slowly and stir in a bit of cream.

profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

That sounds really good...
Ross

Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

So how do the rest of you thicken your holiday or any day meat based gravy?

My mother taught me to put some flour in a jar with enough water and some Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet (about a teaspoon), put a lid on the jar and shake like mad. Slowly add to the juices in the pan stirring constantly. I have never had a failure.

If there aren't enough juices, use chicken stock or BTB turkey or other meat based seasoning with water. There is no need to run out of gravy.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I use roux to thicken gravy. If I'm rushed, I might use corn starch. Doesn't the flour shaken in water still taste of raw flour?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...Doesn't the flour shaken in water still taste of raw flour?

As with any flour thickened gravy, you simmer it for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. As Emeril says, the gravy doesn't reach its full thickness until it reaches a boil.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

You could pour that over an old shoe and it would tadte good.

Nice job.

At first I thought you were looking for ideas for mushroom gravy. I was going to post my red wine/crimini recipe, but I see now that you were just blowing your own trumpet mushroom...
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I use roux to thicken gravy. If I'm rushed, I might use corn starch. Doesn't the flour shaken in water still taste of raw flour?
No. You are adding it to the juices in the roasting pan slowly with just a simmer going. I also allow the gravy to cool down some when it is not quite thick as I want it. It gives the fat a chance to come to the surface and remove as much as I need to. Then I turn the heat back on and finish thickening it.

What I don't like about cornstarch is that the gravy tends to want to separate later.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As with any flour thickened gravy, you simmer it for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. As Emeril says, the gravy doesn't reach its full thickness until it reaches a boil.
I separate the juices from the fat, cook the flour in the fat and then add the juices and stock I've already made. I've added a flour slurry before and the gravy ended up tasting floury.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I separate the juices from the fat, cook the flour in the fat and then add the juices and stock I've already made. I've added a flour slurry before and the gravy ended up tasting floury.
That's what I find too. Maybe some of us are more sensitive to that flavour.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

We've never noticed anything off with flour-water slurry gravy. Good thing, too, because I'm too lazy to make it the other way! Besides, I'm so slow in the kitchen and it takes me so long to get everything ready that the flour taste has managed to cook out anyway.

Tags
bacon, broth, gravy, mushroom, mushrooms, onions, recipe, thanksgiving

« Salsa Verde | - »
Mushroom gravy for Thanksgiving Someone gave me a big bag of trumpet mushrooms so I made the gravy for Thanksgiving dinner today and froze it. First I cooked a few pieces of bacon, leaving the fat in the pan. (Had the bacon for lunch.) Then carmelized chopped onion in the fat. Then added chopped mushrooms and cooked until the water evaporated. I had some sage compound herb butter in the freezer from summer, so I added that. In went low-salt beef broth, 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar, and some freshly ground pepper. Then I put some of the broth with a bit of melted herb butter and a few tablespoons of flower into a mini food processor and ran it until smooth. This mixture was added to the gravy. Cooked on low for several minutes then added chicken broth until I got the consistency I wanted. Gravy was transferred to containers and frozen. On Thanksgiving, I'll reheat slowly and stir in a bit of cream. 3 stars 1 reviews