"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I didn't hear anyone mention celery. Am I the only one? I always use equal parts of chopped celery and onion in mine, lots of chopped fresh garlic too. I go heavy on the dried basil, a little dried oregano, some good red wine (not too much), and some dried Porchini mushrooms. I don't think I'd like capers or cloves in mine. I've never had a problem with bitterness, I wonder if it's because of the celery?
could be.

i leave it out because I don't always want it with the dish I may use the sauce for later (I make a lot of sauce a head of time)
if it is used later. I usually use some crushed celery seed and let it all sit for a while over low heat or in a double boiler.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I didn't hear anyone mention celery. Am I the only one? I always use equal parts of chopped celery and onion in mine, lots of chopped fresh garlic too. I go heavy on the dried basil, a little dried oregano, some good red wine (not too much), and some dried Porchini mushrooms. I don't think I'd like capers or cloves in mine. I've never had a problem with bitterness, I wonder if it's because of the celery?
I almost puree my celery, but it always goes in! I love that flavor in my sauce.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #23
Executive Chef

This is my multi purpose tomato sauce, I make it to freeze for the winter when I pick my Roma paste toms.
I put a load of beef bones in a tray with lots of onions, splash with olive oil, some cubes of pancetta and roast, I then put everything into a big stock pot add as many cut toms as I can, lots of garlic and some water, simmer for three hour take out the bones (for the dog) then blitz with my stick blender, season with pepper, I salt when I use.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
my problem with celery is texture. celery takes a long time to cook soft so I generally avoid it in sauces that are supposed to be less chunky
I cook my sauce a looooooong time to develop the flavors. You'd never know the fine dice celery is there, or the onions either for that matter.
Just sayin'...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
I cook my sauce a looooooong time to develop the flavors. You'd never know the fine dice celery is there, or the onions either for that matter.
Just sayin'...
hmm, stewing the sauce sounds like a good idea, I'll try that
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #26
Head Chef

I swear this is the best sauce I've ever made (from Marcela Hazen):

28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano, if you can find them)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste and keep warm while you prepare your pasta.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Wow! That's a lot of advice. That is going to be one doozy of a sauce.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Just sayin'...
same here. it gets this gorgeous deep red color to it with a super "classic" flavor..it's just epic on everything
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I swear this is the best sauce I've ever made (from Marcela Hazen):

28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano, if you can find them)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste and keep warm while you prepare your pasta.
Isn't there a technical name for this kind of tomato sauce -- with the butter? I'm wracking my tiny name to recall...

It looks fabulous. Sadly I cook for a cow milk allergic person. I'll definitely make it sometime though !
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
So, there were lots of suggestions for making the sauce sweeter. Any suggestions for how to make a tomato based sauce less sweet?

Tags
recipe

My marinara sauce recipe - please criticize! I didn't use any of the online recipes, and I follow a couple of rules given by Alton Brown: 1. use canned tomato or garden tomato 2. tomato has flavors soluable in water, oil and alcohol So my recipe goes like this: 28 ounce of canned crushed tomato 2 cloves of garlic, grated 1 small onion, chopped 3 tbls olive oil 1 once of capers 1 cup white wine salt and black pepper pinch of ground cloves 1 tsp each of dry oregano and dry basil 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley 1 bay leaf heat oil in sauce plan and sweat the onion with a little salt. then add the garlic and brown them, while adding the parsley turn heat on high and pour in 1/3 of the tomato to fry it for 30 seconds turn heat back on low, pour in the rest of the tomato, wine, dry herbs, cloves, pepper and capers, then let cook for about 20 minutes The problem with this sauce is that it tastes too much like wine, there's this pungent, zesty taste that I don't really like. But it can also be from the capers. Should I reduce the wine and omit the capers? I use cheap 3 dollar white wine from the store (not cooking wine) 3 stars 1 reviews