"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

right, so the term was a generalization about a simple sauce, not a specific, standardized recipe.

maybe one of you guys were on one of those ships and can prove me wrong. if so, i apologize...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #52
Master Chef

It seems that this conversation about sauce has been going on here for years.
Marinara sauce

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for dredging that one up, k-l. i must have missed it.

food facism is such an ugly endeavor.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks for dredging that one up, k-l. i must have missed it.

food facism is such an ugly endeavor.
I agree. But there still must be respect for the correct way to make a dish.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

i completely understand, jenny.

correct is the bothersome word there, but respect is the operative word.

that includes development of one's opinion. only a closed mind is certain.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

This quote is from a September 2006 thread on the subject of what constitutes marinara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
According to the recipe I follow by Anna Teresa Callen, who is from Abruzzo and Milano, and has written 5 cookbooks, there are only tomatoes, garlic parsley and basil as the main ingredients in marinara sauce, and it should not be cooked for a long time. She uses olive oil, a dab of tomato paste, and crusher red pepper flakes.

This quote is from earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
First of all, that isn't Marinara Sauce. Marinara Sauce isn't up for creative endeavor. It's a classic sauce that consists of onions, tomatoes, garlic and basil. That's all...

Apparently, even classic recipes change over time.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #57
Executive Chef

Let me pour marinara on troubled waters, the only time I have heard Marinara to describe a tommato sauce is in America. I make a lovely Moules Mariniere and serve it with Pomme Frit there are no toms in the moules and the frits are made with potato not apples.
Ps I dont use salted anchovies in anything I use salted sardines a Croatian speciality like the neck tie, as Marco Polo was a Croatian and from the journal written by the ships cook Seaman Staines great big wooden barrels filled with said sardines were taken on long voyages. When the barrel was empty Rodger the Cabin Boy would live in it.
These pics are of Croatian salted sardines stored in olive oil I take them on long voyages like the ferry trip across the Mersy on the Royal Iris to stop me getting scurvy Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	10527

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	10528
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #58
Master Chef

I have to laugh at the turn this has taken. As a person who has lived among many people from many countries and many, many parts of this country, I rarely call anything by a traditional name! I don't invite comparison. So everything is just something like (in this case) Claire's red sauce. Tomorrow I'm making my version of stuffed cabbage leaves. It is a combination of my mother's, my mother-in-law's, a Polish friend of my mother's, etc, recipes. So I don't call it anything that might offend someone because it isn't authentic!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, yup.

too much in the op's recipe as well...

Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #60
Sous Chef

Definitely a thread that has been seen in similar instances over the the years I've been here. I think it's so popular due to the importance of tomato sauce in so many popular American dishes. The vast majority of people just buy a jar, call it a day, and only fall upon trouble when they attempt to make their own from scratch. I would say a good tomato sauce is one of the more difficult things to master, as it relies on both quality ingredients and an ability to balance salt, acid, sugar, heat, texture, and aromas.

Without writing a book, I almost always use canned tomatoes. I caramelize A LOT of finely minced common onions in lots of ripe golden (not green) olive oil. As they turn deep gold I add some chile flakes (not much), garlic that has been mashed to a paste along with a tomato paste that tastes good from the can/tube. This results in a fantastic base similar to a Sofrito. Next I add some Pinot Grigio (that tastes good!) along with my canned whole peeled tomatoes which have been run through a food mill (blenders/processors tend to make more of an odd-textured coulee that is unsightly orange from the emulsified fats and air). Once it comes together (5 minutes or so), I run it all back through the food mill for the texture I'm looking for (relatively smooth, but not pureed). I then simmer it for 30-45 minutes, adding my herbs 20-30 minutes before it's finished. Dried or fresh works, but honestly I usually use some dried basil and a pinch of dried oregano. If I have some intoxicatingly fresh basil at the peak of summer I obviously use that.

Tags
recipe

My marinara sauce recipe - please criticize! I didn't use any of the online recipes, and I follow a couple of rules given by Alton Brown: 1. use canned tomato or garden tomato 2. tomato has flavors soluable in water, oil and alcohol So my recipe goes like this: 28 ounce of canned crushed tomato 2 cloves of garlic, grated 1 small onion, chopped 3 tbls olive oil 1 once of capers 1 cup white wine salt and black pepper pinch of ground cloves 1 tsp each of dry oregano and dry basil 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley 1 bay leaf heat oil in sauce plan and sweat the onion with a little salt. then add the garlic and brown them, while adding the parsley turn heat on high and pour in 1/3 of the tomato to fry it for 30 seconds turn heat back on low, pour in the rest of the tomato, wine, dry herbs, cloves, pepper and capers, then let cook for about 20 minutes The problem with this sauce is that it tastes too much like wine, there's this pungent, zesty taste that I don't really like. But it can also be from the capers. Should I reduce the wine and omit the capers? I use cheap 3 dollar white wine from the store (not cooking wine) 3 stars 1 reviews