"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

My marinara sauce recipe - please criticize!

I didn't use any of the online recipes, and I follow a couple of rules given by Alton Brown:

1. use canned tomato or garden tomato
2. tomato has flavors soluable in water, oil and alcohol

So my recipe goes like this:

28 ounce of canned crushed tomato
2 cloves of garlic, grated
1 small onion, chopped
3 tbls olive oil
1 once of capers
1 cup white wine
salt and black pepper
pinch of ground cloves
1 tsp each of dry oregano and dry basil
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 bay leaf

heat oil in sauce plan and sweat the onion with a little salt. then add the garlic and brown them, while adding the parsley
turn heat on high and pour in 1/3 of the tomato to fry it for 30 seconds
turn heat back on low, pour in the rest of the tomato, wine, dry herbs, cloves, pepper and capers, then let cook for about 20 minutes

The problem with this sauce is that it tastes too much like wine, there's this pungent, zesty taste that I don't really like. But it can also be from the capers. Should I reduce the wine and omit the capers? I use cheap 3 dollar white wine from the store (not cooking wine)

Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I would say way too much wine. Capers can over power a dish and make it taste vinegary. If you have to use them, I would recomend giving them a very good rinse in cold water or even let them soak in cold water for a few minutes.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Use a moderate but good flavored wine, and reduce your recipe quantity to 1/4 cup... taste and then adjust if you feel you need to add more. It's easy to add but impossible to take away.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I would say way too much wine. Capers can over power a dish and make it taste vinegary. If you have to use them, I would recomend giving them a very good rinse in cold water or even let them soak in cold water for a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Use a moderate but good flavored wine, and reduce your recipe quantity to 1/4 cup... taste and then adjust if you feel you need to add more. It's easy to add but impossible to take away.
Thanks! I did use too much wine... didn't know the strength of capers. actually last night I even poured in some caper juice... so dumb!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

In addition to the wine suggestions, I'd skip both the capers and the cloves. Also, I may be too heavy handed but I'd also go with more oregano and basil.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In addition to the wine suggestions, I'd skip both the capers and the cloves. Also, I may be too heavy handed but I'd also go with more oregano and basil.
actually the reason I added the cloves is because I think it brings up the sweetness a little without adding sugar. I can taste just a little bit of it so it's not overpowering and unnoticeable, and I wanted to give my sauce some character from others... but it might be a bad one lol :p
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

I use cloves in stewed tomato recipes but I have not seen it in a sauce. If you want to bring out the sweetness without sugar experiment with a little baking soda. It works with many fruits and vegatables.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I use cloves in stewed tomato recipes but I have not seen it in a sauce. If you want to bring out the sweetness without sugar experiment with a little baking soda. It works with many fruits and vegatables.
that's interesting :) why can baking soda bring out sweetness? by reducing the acidity?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Executive Chef

As many have said, lose the capers and cloves. I prefer to deglaze with red wine for marinara. I also like to use San Marzano tomatos, that are actually canned in Italy from that region.

Craig
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Thanks! I did use too much wine... didn't know the strength of capers. actually last night I even poured in some caper juice... so dumb!
The good thing about that mistake is that you only make it once.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

My marinara sauce recipe - please criticize! I didn't use any of the online recipes, and I follow a couple of rules given by Alton Brown: 1. use canned tomato or garden tomato 2. tomato has flavors soluable in water, oil and alcohol So my recipe goes like this: 28 ounce of canned crushed tomato 2 cloves of garlic, grated 1 small onion, chopped 3 tbls olive oil 1 once of capers 1 cup white wine salt and black pepper pinch of ground cloves 1 tsp each of dry oregano and dry basil 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley 1 bay leaf heat oil in sauce plan and sweat the onion with a little salt. then add the garlic and brown them, while adding the parsley turn heat on high and pour in 1/3 of the tomato to fry it for 30 seconds turn heat back on low, pour in the rest of the tomato, wine, dry herbs, cloves, pepper and capers, then let cook for about 20 minutes The problem with this sauce is that it tastes too much like wine, there's this pungent, zesty taste that I don't really like. But it can also be from the capers. Should I reduce the wine and omit the capers? I use cheap 3 dollar white wine from the store (not cooking wine) 3 stars 1 reviews