My Mother's Cranberry Sauce 2 Ways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Just like in every movie where a guy is being hassled by the cops, you can do this the easy way or the hard way. Both of these can be made ahead. I actually like this better the day after I make it so the flavors have time come together. First the easy way which is the way my mother does it:

1 Can Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
1 Can Mandarin Oranges Drained
1 Can of Crushed Pineapple Drained
1 Package of Strawberry (or other red jello) made per directions on the box

Break up the jello with a fork and mix in the cranberry sauce, mandarins, and pineapple. Chill and serve.

And now the hard way, or the way I do it:

2 Bags of Fresh Cranberries
1 Bottle or Cherry 7-Up
1 Can Mandarin Oranges Drained
1 Can of Crushed Pineapple Drained
1 Package of Strawberry (or other red jello) made per directions on the box

Add the cranberries and the Cherry 7-Up to a medium sized pot on medium high heat until it comes to a boil. After it comes to boil turn it down to a simmer and cook until reduced by half.
Break up the jello with a fork and mix in the cranberry, mandarins, and pineapple. Chill and serve.

The second method reminds me of the Coca-Cola salad from the fifties.

Was that your inspiration?

Sorry I was born in the 80s and my mother was born in the 60s. The point of using the cherry 7-up is to get the sweetness need to mellow out the tartness of the cranberries and get the cherry and citrus flavor from it to add some more complexity. I think once I was making the sauce and I had an open bottle that was going flat so I decided to use it.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom