"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 01-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Cook

Looks good. I would be very, very surprised if Wegmans does not carry the kind of tomatoes you're looking for. (I really, really miss Wegmans.)

FWIW, my grandmother never, ever put sugar in her tomato sauces. She always used bay leaves. I know a lot of families, even other Italians, use sugar, so I'm just throwing it out there.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
FWIW:

Marinara Sauce, in reality, leaves little room for additions.

There are many tomato sauces that are NOT Marinara, which is a specific Italian sauce that consists basically of tomatoes cooked down with olive oil, garlic and generally basil. It is used for tomato based seafood sauce. Hence the name, Marinara.
Okay, Jeekins... I left out the word "sometimes" between "is" and "used."

The point I was making was that there is nothing in real Marinara Sauce other than tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and herbs -- NOT including cilantro!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I was referring to your statement on the origin of the name "Marinara", not how it's used.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I was referring to your statement on the origin of the name "Marinara", not how it's used.
I didn't make a statement on its origins. musta been someone else.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
As far as the wine, either, but something you would drink. Before the tomatoes are added, and let it simmer a minute or two to burn off alcohol and reduce alittle.
Actually, you should add the wine after you add the tomatoes. You don't want to burn off the alcohol first.

Wine is used in tomato sauce both for its flavor and for the fact it dissolves alcohol-soluable flavor components.

Alcohol releases flavor components in things like tomatoes and other ingredients that water and oil can't -- so it makes your food tastier.

So it's important to add wine to the tomatoes so it can do its magic. Simmering the sauce for 1/2 hour or so will allow some of the alcohol to evaporate, so it wont taste strong.

I'd also suggest not using the sugar unless, after tasting the sauce, it seems too acidic.

Also, you'll probably need more salt.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
Master Chef

First & MOST IMPORTANTLY - DON'T get confused or whacked out by all the suggestions or things well-meaning folks here say you MUST DO to have a successful sauce (& that includes ME - lol!). That's ridiculous. Nearly everything having to do with cooking is subjective & personal. I can guarantee that a sauce recipe that you absolutely love, 10+ folks will turn around & say they hate & can't wait to jump in & tell you what you're doing wrong - lol. That doesn't mean your sauce is bad in the least. Food & taste is personal - there's no good or bad.

That said - my 2 cents are 1) any dry red wine works fine in sauce. I've probably used nearly all of them at one time or another, although a California jug Burgundy or Chianti is probably what I have on hand most of the time. But either of your choices are terrific as well. 2) Please, PLEASE DON'T add any sugar until you taste your sauce. More great tomato sauces have been ruined by the addition of sugar simply because a recipe "says so" than all others combined (in my opinion). And if you do want to add some sugar, add a tiny amount at a time & then re-taste. It's easy to add more; impossible to remove. And 3) NEVER allow your garlic to burn. I always add it far later in the process than recipes instruct in order to avoid this. Once you've burned the garlic, you have to start again from scratch. There's no remedy.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
The only thing I would switch out is the tomato sauce for tomato puree and might not have to add the sugar.
The onions til translucent and some of the water/liquid is cooked out, not crisp-tender.
As far as the wine, either, but something you would drink. Before the tomatoes are added, and let it simmer a minute or two to burn off alcohol and reduce alittle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Actually, you should add the wine after you add the tomatoes. You don't want to burn off the alcohol first.

Wine is used in tomato sauce both for its flavor and for the fact it dissolves alcohol-soluable flavor components.

Alcohol releases flavor components in things like tomatoes and other ingredients that water and oil can't -- so it makes your food tastier.

So it's important to add wine to the tomatoes so it can do its magic. Simmering the sauce for 1/2 hour or so will allow some of the alcohol to evaporate, so it wont taste strong.
Imagine that, my great grandmother, grandmother, and father, all who emigrated from Frazzano, Sicily to Saint Bartolomeo, Galdo, Italy, to Chicago, to New Jersey and made all their own wine had it wrong all these years!
Who would have thunk it!

Maybe in restaurants that's done, but I'll stick with what i know. 53 years and counting.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Imagine that, my great grandmother, grandmother, and father, all who emigrated from Frazzano, Sicily to Saint Bartolomeo, Galdo, Italy, to Chicago, to New Jersey and made all their own wine had it wrong all these years!
Who would have thunk it!

Maybe in restaurants that's done, but I'll stick with what i know. 53 years and counting.
No. It's quite commonly done everywhere.

It's just simple food science.

Take vodka sauce for example. Vodka is used because it has a very neutral flavor. It's only purpose in the sauce is to release the alcohol-soluable components in the tomatoes. That's why it is added to the tomatoes and cooked and not vice versa.

Shirley Corriher: "Alcohol is a solvent. ''Some compounds dissolve in water,'' she said. ''Some dissolve in fat. But alcohol dissolves both fat-soluble compounds and water-soluble compounds. You're pulling flavor compounds out ... so that they can contribute to the flavor in the sauce.''

(Corriher) recalled Patricia Wells, the Paris-based food writer, asking about the vodka in penne alla vodka: ''She said, 'Shirley, why is it that a little vodka in a tomato sauce makes such a huge difference in the taste of the sauce? I boil it after the vodka is added so most of the vodka is gone.' But there's obviously a compound in tomatoes that alcohol dissolves and pulls out into the sauce. And then it doesn't matter what happens to alcohol. It's done its job.''
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I don't use the wine to act as a solvent/dissolver. Never had to.
I reduce it to alittle more liquidy than balsamic vinegar to add flavor. But since I'm using probably double the quantity of ingredients as first posted, to use immediately and some to freeze, my way imparts a different flavor, and it's what this family is used to...as BC said, " there's always going to be someone who disagrees.
And as Chef June said, the unadulterated version doesn't even have wine.
To each his own.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I've added wine/booze to different things at different times. Any time I added wine past the point where I could reduce it, I found the flavor too strong and it interfered with what was in my glass.

Personally, I don't think straight wine (without reduction) adds anything positive to a sauce....IMHO.

Tags
None