"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 05-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Head Chef

i simmer it so long because i like a very thick sauce, almost a meat paste. I also use a good amount of porcini mushroom water, so it has to cook down some.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Go ahead and simmer for the 2.5 hours. When adding fresh herbs, hold them out until the last 30 minutes then add them. That will avoid their being a potential source of bitterness. Dry herbs can go in at the beginning.

I recommend going with fresh garlic or powder, not garlic salt. fresh gives you the best flavor. With garlic salt, you run the risk of making a dish too salty to get the amount of garlic you want.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I agree. Somehow dried herbs can take the long cooking times but not fresh. If I look at my own cooking I use fresh herbs very differently than dried ones.

Pam
Old 05-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #14
Master Chef

Your oregano didnt burn, it just cooked too long.

Or you might have used Mexican oregano rather than Mediterranean. Mexican has a more assertive, bold flavor. Mediterranean is milder and sweeter.

Use dry herbs at the beginning and fresh at the end.

But keep experimenting with herbs. TASTE them before you use them though. You'll likely be disappointed with dill in the sauce, for example.

Try rosemary, parsley, thyme.

And fresh garlic unless the garlic is old or has a big sprout. Then the garlic can be bitter and off-tasting.

I keep some Penzey's garlic powder on hand in case I can't find decent garlic.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

My take on this problem is that the acidity built up...could be to long on the stove or extra acidity in the batch of canned tomatoes......If it happens in the future you might try adding a little baking soda and of course a little more sugar...GOOD LUCK

P.S. try a very small amount of fresh mint for an interesting addition...(very small amount)
Old 05-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

if you were using canned tomatoes- crushed or diced or whatever- read the ingredients on the label. Always buy tomatoes that don't have citric acid listed in the ingredient list- that always does it!

Most brands do, so look through all of them. I think rienzi is good. hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:44 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
mylegs, it sounds like the sauce or paste may have burned. did you notice any blackened/burned stuff on the bottom of the pot, or did the paste get really dark?
Im with Buck... the only time's I've gotten a bitter taste in something like that is when I toast the paste or sauce intentionally for some creole cooking.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #18
Master Chef

are you adding bay leaf? they can make foods bitter. take it easy on them if you do use 'em.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmm, i've never experienced that with bay leaves luvs. the secret marinade for grilled pork chops that i've been working on has as it's main components lots of bay leaves, garlic, sweet sherry, and black rum. the chops were never bitter.

do you use dried or fresh bay? i've never used fresh. been trying to buy a small laurus nobilis tree.

lol, reading this thread shows how many of us have tackled the making of tomato sauces, and the lessons we've learned from mistakes.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #20
Master Chef

i read up on it, bucky, and it's definately a factor in bitterness. i didn't notice TILL i read about it, but they were so very correct about that. if you throw in too many bay leaves, it can ruin your dish. i use them very judiciously now.
http://www.bonus.com/contour/__conto...terms/5268.asp

Tags
None