"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 05-15-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

My Spaghetti Sauce is Bitter: Calling all Chefs

Hey guys... those of you who have been following me know ive been makin a home made spaghetti sauce every sunday.. well..first time i've had it come out bitter was today. im trying to find out why, a couple of things i did differently

just so you know here is the sauces base, 1 large can of Muir Glen tomatoes, 6 oz paste, maybe 1/3 cup of Porcini Mushroom liquid(that i rehyrated them with

For one, i normally add 1/3 cup of red wine to my sauce. Today, i couldnt.

Today, i added in a few sprigs of fresh oregano at the start of the sauce simmering. maybe three tablespoons fresh oregano

is oregano bitter? WTF

the sauce simmered for around 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Another thing different - i used garlic salt (a lil) when simmerin the veggies, and garlic salt when browning the 1 pound of meat.

I forgot about this so i added a tablespoon of alessi sea salt to the sauce when it started simmering

why is my sauce bitter? no sweetener from the wine? too much salt?

maybe when i put the paste in with the veggies and darkened the paste before adding the can whole tomatoes, maybe i left the paste cook too long?

what makes it bitter?

maybe the whole sauce simmered too long is 2:15 too long? I usually simmer it until it turns into like a REAL thick meat sauce which usually takes 2 hours

any other tips?

please give all your info... thanks

bigleg

Old 05-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've had that problem before too, and never could quite put my finger on what it was.
I don't use wine, but I put some sugar in mine, so maybe that's what it was.

I never thought I'd see the day, but time and age change all things, and now I usually start with a good jarred sauce and "work with it".
Mrs. Temporiti, who taught me how to make sauce the way her mother taught her, is probably rolling in her grave.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Cook

It could be the tomatoes or the paste. My sauce has some times been bitter and I make it the same way each time. I just throw in some brown sugar til it tastes right. (Don't know why brown instead of white sugar but thats what my mom did, so I do too.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

mylegs, it sounds like the sauce or paste may have burned. did you notice any blackened/burned stuff on the bottom of the pot, or did the paste get really dark?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:16 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I find that fresh oregano has a very different flavor than dried. Not sure if it is bitter. Did you try adding a spoon or two of sugar?

Pam
Old 05-16-2005, 05:00 AM   #6
Executive Chef

It may have been because you simmered the fresh oregano in the sauce for too long a period of time. Fresh herbs get bitter with overcooking so that may have contributed to the bitter taste. You should add the fresh herbs at the end, or no more than 5 minutes before you serve it.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:57 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Another thing different - i used garlic salt (a lil) when simmerin the veggies, and garlic salt when browning the 1 pound of meat... thanks bigleg
Burnt garlic is bitter. Possibly you burnt it when you browned the meat?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Head Chef

I agree, fresh herbs and garlic cooked to long will make the sauce bitter.Brown sugar can help this problem tho. Just add a small amount at a time tho as it really sweetens it fast.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
Head Chef

I know for sure it wasn't the garlic friends. I've learned to be very careful with the garlic.

It must have been the large amount of Oregano burning over time. As i said it went close to 2 : 30 hours.

next time i will omit it. My sauce the past few weeks without these changes has been to die for.

Im going to stick with what works.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
It may have been because you simmered the fresh oregano in the sauce for too long a period of time. Fresh herbs get bitter with overcooking so that may have contributed to the bitter taste. You should add the fresh herbs at the end, or no more than 5 minutes before you serve it.
I think I've got to agree here... 2:30 seems like a REALLY long time to simmer spaghetti sauce. I almost always use dried herbs in my sauce as well. If I may, why did you simmer your sauce for so long? I don't think I've ever had one go over 1/2 an hour. I'm pretty un-versed in cooking method though, so is there some benefit to letting it cook that long?

Tags
None