Nacho Cheese Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
How do you make nacho cheese sauce from scratch. I know about the canned nacho chesse soup/sauce... that campbells used to make , but i cant find it.
I've learned to make pretty good salsa, but sometimes you need some variety in life.

Greetings Villasman! I found this recipe online somewhere and have made it often. Good stuff.

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped red pepper
4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 white onion, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tbsp. minced jalapeno peppers
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
nacho corn chips
Mix together peppers, olive oil, garlic and butter in a saucepan.

Sprinkle in flour, pour in milk and stir until mixture simmers -- do not allow to boil. When mixture begins to thicken, stir in the cheese and remaining ingredients, Simmer on low heat an additional five minutes or until cheese is fully melted.

Serve with nacho chips.

I posted this frequently on that 'other' site - ;) - but here goes again.

This I got from one of the local Mexican 'chains' that are everywhere now; I always loved the cheese they served on their nachos and enchiladas and chimichangas; tried every combo i knew of to try an duplicate it, and could never come up with anything - even when I used all the 'proper' Mexican cheeses. Asked the host at one of the restaurants, and he sort of blushed, and said, 'Senora, it's just white American cheese melted with some milk to thin it out'!!!

Honest - try it! Just cut white American cheese into chunks, put in a pan over low heat with some milk (I don't measure, but maybe 1/3 cup milk to 1 cup cheese - it'll be very runny when it all finally melts), keep stirring til it melts. Sometmes I'll add chopped jalepenos, or some cayenne, or chopped cilantro if I have some left over; but that's all it is. Ooey-gooey, yummy!

Nacho cheese sauce...

Can anyone describe to me what "American white cheese" is?? I know our cheeses in Canada can be significantly different. Most of our cheddars orange or white are considered quite "hard". The closest thing I can think that your your American white cheese would be compared to is Velvetta cheese but that is not white. Thanks Pst :D

Do you know the slices of American cheese in the plastic wrappers for sandwiches? Well, there is a white cheese too - but in reality the white cheese just doesn't have the food coloring in it that the yellow does - so it will taste the same. So just buy American - but I swear color makes a difference. If you don't think it does try eating purple or green ketchup :P

Re: Nacho cheese sauce...

pst1can said:
Can anyone describe to me what "American white cheese" is?? I know our cheeses in Canada can be significantly different. Most of our cheddars orange or white are considered quite "hard". The closest thing I can think that your your American white cheese would be compared to is Velvetta cheese but that is not white. Thanks Pst :D

Your supermarket carries Velveeta but not American cheese? Hmmm... that's strange. Are you sure there's no 'Kraft Deli Deluxe' in your dairy case? They are very similar, although velveeta melts a little easier and has more salt in it.

Hey..
anybody got good other recipes or Nacho-Cheese-Sauce or Nacho-Chilli-Chese Sauce?

hot or cold

i only found 4 or somethig online

Clubberer, vilkommen. Naughty tag line there - I know what schiesse means!

Try this for a dip - melt a couple of cups of cubed Velveeta and add a can of Rotel tomatoes. Also good with the addition of crumbled browned sausage.

I am not sure where I got this recipe. I have not tried it, but it sounded good.

Queso Blanco

Yield: 2 servings

1 cup cheese (Monterey Jack or Asadero) shredded fine
4 oz. green chiles
1/4 cup half & half
2 tbls. onion, chopped fine
2 tsps ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 serrano pepper, chopped fine (optional)
1 tbls fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional)

Put all ingredients in a double boiler and heat on medium.
Cook until melted and well blended, stirring occasionally.
Serve with tortilla chips or hot flour tortillas.

Last edited:
mudbug said:
Clubberer, vilkommen. Naughty tag line there - I know what schiesse means!

Try this for a dip - melt a couple of cups of cubed Velveeta and add a can of Rotel tomatoes. Also good with the addition of crumbled browned sausage.

hehe
so now u can try to translate the whole sentence

Back
Top Bottom