"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I'm interested!!!!!
are you interested in my m-i-l's take on Italian gravy? She was from Genoa and it is wonderful.
kades

Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
are you interested in my m-i-l's take on Italian gravy? She was from Genoa and it is wonderful.
kades
If she's not I am!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
If she's not I am!
Here ya go...
this is a single batch I double it for my gang they like to take home some gravy but I'll just give you the single recipe.
2lb. chuck roast of 2 lbs stew meat. when done save part of the meat and blend in f/p to mix in you gravy if you like it nice and thick. I find it clings to pasta better this way.
1cup evoo
2cups chopped yellow onions
4-5 cloves of crushed garlic
4 cans good 8oz tomotos crushed
2 cans or 4 cups beef stock
salt and pepper 2 Tab. fresh chopped parsley
4 tab. marjoram I love it here and tend to go through a little more
2 tea. thyme
1 tea rosemary
1 tea. basil
1 tea oragano
2 cups dry mushroonrehydrate and save the broth, but be sure to run the broth through cheese cloth or a coffee filter to make sure there is no sand I don't use the very last bit to be sure not to get grit. This broth will make your gravy abeautiful brow not red tomatoy
Bron your meat and onion and garlic Add all other ingredients and cook 4-5 hours, enjoy the smell that wills the hous, When almost done I cook the full 5 hrs. grab a piece of good french bread and dip in the sauce yummm Put mushroom in blender anc chop fine add to gray add the broth from the mushrooms a little at a time. til all is used. Enjoy
cj
Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Sounds REALLY good! Definately for a rainy Sunday or a cool fall weekend.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Kadesma, thank you so much! I'm looking forward to trying it!

I really appreciate everyone's help today!!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
Head Chef

ReKop welcome to DC... Once you have found a recipe you enjoy you will make it for many years... Here is the one i've been using for a very long time, it's very simple and not really thick at all...

4-28 oz cans of whole tomatoes (for me they must be san marzano)
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
1 medium onion-minced
4 cloves of garlic-minced
kosher salt (to taste)
fresh ground pepper (to taste)
fresh basil (about 1 cup)
1 tsp dried oregano

Saute onions in a large pot until soft, then add garlic...
While onions are cooking puree tomatoes in a blender, and set aside... Once the onions and garlic are translucent, not browned, add your tomatoes bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer... Add your S&P and allow your sauce to cook for about 1 1/2 hours... Tear your basil leaves and place in sauce along with oregano, cook a few minutes longer... Taste for seasoning and your done...

I hope you have much success in your quest for the perfect sauce...
Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Having spent the first 32 years of my life in Italy, I agree with DaveSoMD and Andy M..."Let the mother teach you". She will be happy with that, and so will BF.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #28
Head Chef

I would just tell your story, you didn't have a mother around to teach you alot of recipes and would love to have you show me how to make your sauce.

I told my MIL I wish I new how to make Polish food, boy did I get my wish, pigs inblanket, kupusta, perogies.

Now to save face with boyfriend. I would make one of the recipe above let him taste and decide. And when you get to taste hers, you can say thats nothing like mine. and then ask her. Or maybe he will say this is better then my mothers. If so do not let him tell his mother!!! Nothing worse then a girlfriend showing his mother up.

By the way all the recipes above look yummy and have put me in the mood for pasta. I make mine like Mimi but i put lil tomato paste in till I get the thickness I like and I also add beef bones while it is cooking then take them out after.

goof luck to you
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #29
Master Chef

May I make a suggestion for future attempts? Especially if you get really serious with this guy.

I never even remotely attempted to compete with my MIL or even any friend who had a specialty. Let me tell you, you can't compete with Mom.

Instead, just be up front. "I would LOVE to be able to make a sauce as special as yours, but it is something you have to learn at your mother's knee and I didn't. Would you come over (or have me over) for an afternoon and show me how you do it?" The hour or few that she's teaching you can be a good bonding time; and you can establish that you aren't trying to take her place in her darling son's life. It is far better to flatter her, and you're bound to learn something while doing it.

Yes, I did this with my future MIL when my husband and I first started living together a year or so before we married. Yes, my mom had taught me to make cabbage rolls, but hubby raved about his mother's halupke, and I had her show me, and yes, some tricks and such that I hadn't known. My recipe is now my own (and MIL has long since passed away), but asking for a cooking lesson will win the family's heart far more than competing with her!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReKop View Post
Kadesma, thank you so much! I'm looking forward to trying it!

I really appreciate everyone's help today!!
I'm happy to help. My m-i-l was pretty careful about sharing but my dh got her by telling her he would miss her gravy if anything happened to her BINGO but it was after we had been married about 10 years...So hang in there she is bound to give in when she realises times waits for no man
kadesma

Tags
None