"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need homemade Italian tomato sauce recipe!

Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new to this site as of today and was hoping that all of you wonderful people could help me out. I am dating a guy with a very traditional Italian background. His mother makes every meal they eat from scratch and so I'll never be fully accepted into this family until I can prove myself with a good sauce. I'm an Italian myself (from my mothers side) but she left when I was young so I never had anyone to teach me how to make authentic Italian meals. This being said, I don't have a homemade sauce and I have NO clue how to go about making one. And, for that matter, I need something that's going to stand up to his mom's (which in my opinion is rather bland and flavorless, but I'll NEVER tell them that ) Now I've led my boyfriend to believe that I have a sauce of my own...but I don't and so I need SERIOUS help.

Please...anyone.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Haven't tried this one but it is on my short list. Give it a shot and let us know how you do.... BTW welcome to DC.

Spaghetti and Meatballs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Gourmet
Yield: Makes 12 to 16 servings

Summary:

A heaping platter of spaghetti and meatballs evokes a feeling of comfort—perfect for a family get-together. The stars of this dish are the meatballs, of course, and they don't disappoint—lots of garlic and Parmigiano-Reggiano give them a robust flavor that stands up to the hearty tomato sauce.

Ingredients:

For tomato sauce:
6 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes in juice (preferably San Marzano)
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
For meatballs:
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 cups torn day-old Italian bread
3 cups whole milk
6 large eggs
2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/4 pound)
1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped oregano or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 lbs. ground veal
1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (not lean)
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
For pasta:
2 lbs. dried spaghetti
Accompaniment: grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Equipment: a 12-to 16-quart nonreactive heavy pot or 2 smaller nonreactive pots, a 6-to 8-quart pasta pot with a pasta/steamer insert for cooking spaghetti in 2 batches.

Directions:

Make sauce:
Drain tomatoes, reserving juice in a large bowl. Crush tomatoes with your hands and add to juice.

Cook onions in oil in pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, 4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Simmer sauce, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt.

Make meatballs while sauce simmers:
Cook onions in extra-virgin olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.

Soak bread in milk in another bowl until soft, about 5 minutes. Firmly squeeze bread to remove excess milk, discarding milk.

Stir together cooled onion mixture, bread, eggs, parmesan, parsley, oregano, lemon zest, 51/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper until combined. Add meats to bread mixture, gently mixing with your hands until just combined (do not overmix).

Form meat mixture into about 70 (1 1/2-inch) balls with dampened hands, arranging meatballs on 2 large baking sheets or in shallow baking pans.

Heat olive or vegetable oil (1 cup) in a 12-inch heavy skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown meatballs in 4 or 5 batches (without crowding), turning frequently, about 5 minutes per batch. Return to baking sheets.

Add meatballs to sauce and gently simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes. (If pot is not large enough, divide meatballs and sauce between 2 pots.)

Prepare pasta:
Cook spaghetti in 2 batches in pasta insert in boiling salted water (3 tablespoon salt for 6 qt water) until just al dente, draining and tossing each batch with some of sauce in a large serving dish.

Serve with meatballs, remaining sauce, and grated cheese.

Notes:

Cooks' notes: •Meatballs can be made and simmered in sauce 5 days ahead and chilled (covered once cool). •Meatballs with sauce can be frozen in an airtight container or heavy-duty sealable bags up to 3 months,

Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Can't wait to try it! Thank you!!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

.40, you sure cook for large groups. 6-28 ounce cans of tomato makes a lot of sauce!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Any guidance on how to cut the size down?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Head Chef

What kind of sauce are you looking for? If you google "Italian sauces", you will see
that there are many many different kinds!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I know, I've googled it a hundred times...the problem is, I don't know how to tell which ones are good and which ones aren't. I want something really authentic. Not spicy, not watery, but not REAL thick either.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReKop View Post
Any guidance on how to cut the size down?
Basically, just simple division. I'd start with one-28 ounce can (divide by 6). After all, you don;t know if you'll like it. You don't want to make a huge batch and waste it.

Do you want a meat sauce, marinara sauce? Do you want meats in the sauce (meatballs and sausages, etc)? Do you want the sauce sweet or tart?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Here's a silly question. Wouldn't it have been easier to just admit that you didn't have anyone to teach you to cook and ask BF's Mom if she would teach you? You know the "I didn't have anyone to teach me but I'd be honored if you teach me to cook like you. I just love your recipes."
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Here's a silly question. Wouldn't it have been easier to just admit that you didn't have anyone to teach you to cook and ask BF's Mom if she would teach you? You know the "I didn't have anyone to teach me but I'd be honored if you teach me to cook like you. I just love your recipes."

I know you'd like to have your own recipe, but this is a good idea because the only sauce your BF thinks is great will be Mom's. He may say he likes yours but...

Tags
None