"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom1183 View Post
So anyone care to share a recipe for their Sunday sauce?
I used to make thick and hearty ragus, now I have more of "less is more" frame of mind. My sauce is very simple, a basic marinara, sometimes I may even leave out an ingredient.

Olive Oil
Fresh Basil
Chopped Onion
Minced Garlic
Tomato Paste (optional)
White Wine or Red Wine (whatever I'm drinking)
Canned Cento Brand San Marzano, sometimes I chop whole peeled tomatoes myself or used chopped.
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

On medium heat, add about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan along with a bunch of fresh basil. You don't want to fry the basil, just perfume the oil. After 3-4 minutes, remove the basil with a slotted spoon. Add the onion and begin to sweat. Once the onion is done, add the garlic (and tomato paste if used) and gently cook off the rawness. Deglaze with wine, reduce, add the tomatoes and a little tap water. I usually use some water from rinsing out the can. Cover and simmer at most for 20 minutes, then uncover and reduce to the thickness you like. Using authentic San Marzano tomatoes you don't have to cook the bejesus out of it.

Finish with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

You can easily add cooked ground beef, sausage or other veggies to that. I make it in a large saute pan so I can add the pasta right from the pot next to it, and use some of the pasta water in the sauce.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Minced Garlic
Have you ever tried adding in roasted garlic instead of sauteing raw garlic?
I've just started doing this recently and I find that the garlic is sweeter and less pungent in the sauce. I add it in when I'm about to simmer the sauce for as long as I can. Try it out. If you really love that strong garlic taste, you better roast plenty as you won't taste the strong garlic taste as when sauteing.

Also, authentic SM tomatos is all I use in my sauce but ofter wonder if the difference is really worth the extra $$. My aunt never used expensive canned tomatoes and her sauce is as good as mine if not better.
My can of SM = $3.99
Her can = $0.99

Old 12-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Good idea, Dom. Maybe I could have made my own paste of sorts using the stick blender or food processor out of some canned whole tomatoes. I wouldn't have wanted to use it directly in the sauce or I would have lost my chunky ingredients, as in emulsified them.
Just to clarify, they would have been pureed, not emulsified.

I usually make a simple marinara sauce, like Jeeks, or doctor up a large can of crushed tomatoes with fresh onions, garlic, peppers and ground beef or sausage, along with oregano and basil from the garden. Luckily, oregano is year-round here, and I have cubes of basil in the freezer that equal probably a couple tbsp. of fresh basil. If I'm out of fresh basil, I use pesto.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Good idea, Dom. Maybe I could have made my own paste of sorts using the stick blender or food processor out of some canned whole tomatoes. I wouldn't have wanted to use it directly in the sauce or I would have lost my chunky ingredients, as in emulsified them.
You need to cook down tomatoes to make paste. It's quite a bit of work. It's not enough to use a blender.

Emulsify = to combine oil and water in a suspension
Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Have you ever tried adding in roasted garlic instead of sauteing raw garlic?
I've just started doing this recently and I find that the garlic is sweeter and less pungent in the sauce. I add it in when I'm about to simmer the sauce for as long as I can. Try it out. If you really love that strong garlic taste, you better roast plenty as you won't taste the strong garlic taste as when sauteing.

Also, authentic SM tomatos is all I use in my sauce but ofter wonder if the difference is really worth the extra $$. My aunt never used expensive canned tomatoes and her sauce is as good as mine if not better.
My can of SM = $3.99
Her can = $0.99
I'm not really a garlic fan, but I like the hint of it in certain foods. I do roast garlic for a couple things, but not often. When I add the garlic to the pan I keep it in one spot and add a little oil to it. Saute just for a minute or two and it will take the "edge" off.

I did some research on San Marzanos a while back. If you really load your sauce with other ingredients, you won't taste the difference in an authentic San Marzano. I prefer a cleaner taste to my sauces so I use then exclusively.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #46
Master Chef

Interestingly, I just now found this thread.
I was making the sauce yesterday and I had exactly the opposite problem. I only had the tomato paste, I basically remember my soviet army days when the closest thing to vegetable we had was in fact tomato paste and we used to make tomato juice out of it. So I told my self that it would work for the sauce too, and it worked indeed. My wife and kids loved it.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

Now thats' being resourceful !
It's interesting how people are different.
If all I had was a can of tomato paste, I wouldn't make sauce today.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
You need to cook down tomatoes to make paste. It's quite a bit of work. It's not enough to use a blender.

Emulsify = to combine oil and water in a suspension
Thanks for the info. I guess I was using emulsify incorrectly because I've seen stick blenders referred to as emulsion blenders. Hmmm, or is that immersion....

Anyway. Pretty cool, Charlie. Just the opposite ike you said.

And to clarify again, for anyone picking up the end of this thread, the only reason I wanted/needed the paste was because I was using a twenty minute pressure cooker sauce recipe. I don't use tomato paste for my stovetop sauce, which I've been getting better and better at, BTW . I use whatever is on sale BTW, as long as it's a name brand. I add a lot of this and that and after reading the above post, maybe the San Marzano's would be a wasted effort after all.
What I have been trying to dial in is using crushed vs diced. And one brand of crushed I just used is basically another brand's sauce or puree...
Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

Well there's only one way to settle the SM tomato sauce problem.
One would have to make two exact tomato sauces with the same quantity of ingredients made with SM tomatoes and the other with a cheaper brand.
The sauce would have to be made very simple with no meat or overpowering spices.
I think I'll give that try one day and share my results. I'll give 5 people, who I believe have a solid palate, a blind taste test.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Now thats' being resourceful !
It's interesting how people are different.
If all I had was a can of tomato paste, I wouldn't make sauce today.
That is why I love cooking and hate baking. In cooking you can always improvise. I added few things to it and it came out great.

Tags
None