"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't use tomato paste for my stovetop sauce,
There's no reason why you can't.

I use tomato paste primarily as a sauce "enhancer". It adds a certain flavor and depth to a sauce. I don't look at it as a thinkener at all, that's what I use reduction for.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

No, there isn't....

Old 12-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It was runny. Good, but runny.
I guess I did need that paste.
I know this is late, but will help in the future. The pressure cooker is useful for breaking down the various ingredients, that is, it makes them softer, faster, due to the increased pressure and heat. You can achieve the same thing, albeit with more pans. Cook the tomato sauce in a shallow, wide pan over medium heat to reduce the water content. While the sauce is reducing, saute' the veggies in a seperate pan over medium high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated, taking care not to scorch the veggies. While these two pans are working, brown the meat in still another pan. Add the garlic and other seasonings to the sauce. Add the meat and veggies to the sauce. Continue cooking the sauce while firing up a suitable pot of water for the pasta. While the pasta is cooking, correct the seasonings in the sauce. They must have at least 10 minutes cooking time before the herbs will have released sufficient flavor into the sauce. So check the sauce again just after the pasta is done and add whatever seasonings are called for. Drain the pasta and cover. It will still be good by the time the sauce is right.

The reason this will give you a 30 minute pasta dish is that the watery ingredients, i.e. sauce, meat, veggies, are all given broad surfaces to cook in, providing a large evaporative area. They give up their moisture before being combined. Everything is done to your liking before the sauce is combined.

For an easier way to do this, prepare the sauce the night before you are going to have the dinner. Then, just heat and eat it when the pasta is freshly cooked.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
There's no reason why you can't.

I use tomato paste primarily as a sauce "enhancer". It adds a certain flavor and depth to a sauce. I don't look at it as a thinkener at all, that's what I use reduction for.
It seems strange, as when you look at the ingredient list of tomato sauce, it usually says tomato paste and water. And yet, when I use tomato paste in addition to the sauce, it gives it a slightly sweeter, richer flavor than does the sauce alone. The diced and fresh tomato brighten the flavor so that I get layers of flavor in the sauce. The veggies also brighten the flavors as they are always fresh and are picked to compliment the sauce. So yes, I add tomato paste to my stove-top sauce as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That is why I love cooking and hate baking. In cooking you can always improvise. I added few things to it and it came out great.
Who says you can't improvise when baking? I do it all the time.
I have been challenged of late to amke a bread incorporating meat. But those thoughts and ideas are for another thread in another time. I won't hijack this thread.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Tags
None