New Shrimp Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made some Shrimp Scampi, but wanted a sauce to go with it. DW wanted know sauce and so I was free to experiment. Here's how I made the sauce. Oh, and it came out delicious with the shrimp.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup wild honey
3 tbs. lemon juice
4 shakes original Tabasco Sauce
3 tbs. Sriracha Pepper Sauce
1/4 tsp. Soy Sauce

Mix it up and serve with shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic. Don't overcook the shrimp.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I made some Shrimp Scampi, but wanted a sauce to go with it. DW wanted know sauce and so I was free to experiment. Here's how I made the sauce. Oh, and it came out delicious with the shrimp.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup wild honey
3 tbs. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Soy Sauce

Mix it up and serve with shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic. Don't overcook the shrimp.;)

Doesn't shrimp scampi come with its own lemon/wine sauce ?

Ingredients:
1/4 cup wild honey
3 tbs. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Soy Sauce

Oh wow .. that sounds delicious ! Thanks for sharing .. it's on my to do list now :yum:

After searching around the web, I found recipes for shrimp scampi that use red wine, while others use white wine. Most had red pepper flakes, while a few did not. Most had lemon juice, again with a few not using it. What the original is, or was, I haven't found.

DW can't eat anything spicy-hot, such as pepper, or red pepper flakes. They are omited. We don't use alcohol except to scrub electronic circiurt boards in an earlier life. That leaves me with the three ingredients found in every shrimp scampi recip that I've found; garlic, butter, and shrimp. And so, in our house, if you want a sauce beside the melted garlic butter, you have to make it on the side.

That's ok though. I like creating things my wife can't eat.:ohmy:

Chief----- your sauce sounds absolutely delicious! I definitely will fix this sometime. I'm also wondering what else it might be good on.

Great idea Chief. I too find plain shrimp scampi to be "missing something" when I make it. It is nothing more than shrimp garlic and butter.
You're dipping sauce sounds like the answer!
However, I would skip the butter altogether and marinate the shrimp in an oil based vinaigrette with complimenting spices.
Do you grill, broil, or pan fry the shrimp?

And I would not call it scampi anymore. It would get a new name.

I thought you said your wife could not have spicy food? Tabasco and Siracha are very hot.

You're dipping sauce is very similar to my honey bourbon salmon glaze. But mine has no hot sauces in it.

Great idea Chief. I too find plain shrimp scampi to be "missing something" when I make it. It is nothing more than shrimp garlic and butter.
However, I would skip the butter altogether and marinate the shrimp in an oil based vinaigrette with complimenting spices.

I thought you said your wife could not have spicy food? Tabasco and Siracha are very hot.
You're dipping sauce is very similar to my honey bourbon salmon glaze. But mine has no hot sauces in it.

That was the whole idea. Something the wife could not eat. :pig: Guess who got to scoff it all up! :angel:

This time of year, with outside temps in the sub-zero ranges, It's cooked in a pan on the stove top. In the summer, I grill it on kebabs, or sometimes broil it. I've been known to poach it and then use it in chowders and such as well.

I agree with you that in the summertime, the shrimp would be great on the grill. I think I'd brush it with the sauce as it cooked though, rather than marinate. If I marinated it, I would use small shrimp and add them to fried rice, or stir-fries.

And yes, I ate the sauce with my shrimp. DW likes hers just with the way it is, after cooking in the butter & garlic.

Chief I guess I misunderstood the concept.

I guess my thinking was shrimp scampi in itself is usually broiled with the butter and garlic. And is served in this butter and garlic mixture.
Thats what I think of when someone mentions scampi.

I thought you made traditional scampi, then served the dipping sauce on the side?

Now I see you are not making scampi, you are just brushing garlic and butter on the shrimp while grilling or broiling?

Sorry I did not mean to complicate this. I am just thirsty for knowledge and ideas.

Chief I guess I misunderstood the concept.

I guess my thinking was shrimp scampi in itself is usually broiled with the butter and garlic. And is served in this butter and garlic mixture.
Thats what I think of when someone mentions scampi.

I thought you made traditional scampi, then served the dipping sauce on the side?

Now I see you are not making scampi, you are just brushing garlic and butter on the shrimp while grilling or broiling?

Sorry I did not mean to complicate this. I am just thirsty for knowledge and ideas.

Me too. I'm not even sure what the original recipe is for shrimp scampi. I suspect that what I make, skillet frying in butter and garlic, is a local version of the original. So many things change that it becomes difficult to determine what the original is.

Think of bruschetta and you think of a toasted roll with a topping. Originally, Brushcetta was a bread roll, brushed with first pressed olive oil, cooked over an open fire, and then rubbed with raw garlic. It was used to test the quality of the olive oil. It had no other toppings. Now, you can purchase jars of stuff in grocery stores called bruschetta.

In the words of Mel Gibson's Character, "I don't make things complicated. They get that way all by themselves."

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I made the Chief's sauce over shrimp last night. !t was GREAT! :chef:
Thank you Chief!

Today I'll dip the few cooked shrimp left into the cold sauce for lunch.

I made the Chief's sauce over shrimp last night. !t was GREAT! :chef:
Thank you Chief!

Today I'll dip the few cooked shrimp left into the cold sauce for lunch.

It does my heart good when I can give soemthing to others that they can enjoy, even if it's a simple recipe.:mrgreen:

It does my heart good when I can give soemthing to others that they can enjoy, even if it's a simple recipe.:mrgreen:

Simple is GREAT---- as your recipe proved! And I did dip the cold leftover shrimp into the L.O. sauce. YUM!) I'll be doing that more also, using your recipe.

Back
Top Bottom