Night & Day Barbecue Sauce
. This sauce is rich and dark in appearance.
- 1 cup Chili sauce
- Juice of 2 Fresh limes
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 Large onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 12 ounces Dark beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- ½ cup Dark brown sugar; firm packed
- 2 teaspoons Chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 small can Tomato paste (start with half a can, use as a thickening agent.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sweat the onions until soft. Add the garlic and continue to cook a few minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, holding back half the tomato paste, and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Reduce the sauce until desired consistency or thicken with more tomato paste. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve on the side with your favorite grilled and smoked meats, chicken or sausage.
On a final note, feel free to experiment with coffee. You can try substituting brewed coffee for water or wine in many sauce recipes. And you can substitute fine ground coffee for various dry ingredients. Give it a try.