"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
Master Chef

Sorry, but I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I think all of us try to do the best we can for our family meals, gravy included. To each his own and to claim "Perfect" anything needs to be made from scratch is unreasonable for many. imo And if we're talking age..I have you both beat. lol

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Perfect Gravy

Whoa, 70, Andy! And Kayelle, you sure don't look your age!

I'm wondering if I should bring gravy to my cousin's dinner. It would have to start from stock in a box. I have no drippings, as the turkey will be cooked by her BIL. But from recalling the last 3 years, none of these folks know how to cook, and everything is so bland and tasteless. And gluten-free. Love 'em anyway.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sorry, but I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I think all of us try to do the best we can for our family meals, gravy included. To each his own and to claim "Perfect" anything needs to be made from scratch is unreasonable for many. imo And if we're talking age..I have you both beat. lol

I have made really tasty gravy with canned broth/turkey base. I don't always have home made. No one complains.

Kayelle, I've known you long enough to know your Thanksgiving dinner will be outstanding.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
No argument taken. As I said, if what you make using pre-made stock or broth, from a jar, box, or can satisfies everyone, that's great. Don't change a thing. My family might not even notice the difference. It's just me who insists on doing everything from scratch. I'm sure that If I ate at your home, I'd love what you made. It's all good.

My problem is that if I'm making something, I want it to be my own, not the flavors and seasonings that someone else thinks is perfect. If I'm having something someone else made, I understand that not everyone likes the same thing, and I usually enjoy whatever is made, and think it's wonderful. There have been a few exceptions, when I've eaten some truly horrid meal by someone who thought what they were making was the best ever. Even then, I complimented the cook, and finished my plate.

I agree with Andy about the mouth-feel and flavor of homemade stocks and broths. But it's only an opinion. We're all aloud to have them. And again, I want new cooks to be able to learn how to make really great food, from scratch, so they don't have to rely on pre-made foods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I do prefer making stock from scratch for soup, but for gravy and stuffing the boxed stuff works the same for me. To be honest, pretty much everyone is impressed that I make my own gravy from drippings, it's amazing to see how many people just dump it out of a jar!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
Wine Guy

On the down side, packaged chicken stock is one of the things I can no longer process, so only homemade for me. On the up side, this is the best time of year for making it. Everyone and their brother keeps passing off carcasses and bones to me. I've even started bringing humungo ziplocs to all the family gatherings.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #17
Master Chef

I alternate between canned and homemade stock (or broth). This year I made my own for gravy and stuffing, but I probably won't next year. But who knows.

Sorry chief, but I was kind of surprised to see this gravy thread posted as "perfect", especially since it was meant for less experienced cooks, as you said. Also, I didn't see anyone claim their turkey, dressing, or potatoes were 'perfect'. When I was a new cook it was a challenge to even make the roux, let alone making stock for gravy from scratch .
Old 11-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I do prefer making stock from scratch for soup, but for gravy and stuffing the boxed stuff works the same for me. To be honest, pretty much everyone is impressed that I make my own gravy from drippings, it's amazing to see how many people just dump it out of a jar!
I don't think I have ever bought a jar of gravy. I do buy the gravy packets. Only for just myself. I will often get a hankering for gravy over toast. And those packets make just enough gravy for a couple of slices of toast. Something my mother often made for me. But a jar? For that much gravy, I will make my own from scratch.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
That's the spirit!

Thank you bc. And one for you!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:17 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Perfect Gravy

I usually have plenty of drippings from the turkey to make make my gravy which is by no means "perfect", but usually pretty tasty. Since I cook my turkey stuffed, some of the fairly highly seasoned stuffing spills into the drippings making the drippings extra tasty. After removing the turkey from the roaster, I skim any excess fat and make the gravy right in the roaster deglazing with either homemade or boxed stock. I thicken with a flour slurry. If by chance there isn't much liquid in the drippings (and there usually are) then I would make sure there was enough fat to make a roux (add butter if needed) and make the gravy by whisking in stock. Sometimes I add a pinch or two of sage or poultry seasoning and finish with salt and pepper. I have been known to add some McCormick turkey rub. ( I'm out and have not been able to find it). :(
If I don't feel the gravy has enough flavor, I will augment with Better than Broth.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Tags
gravy, other