Our Best Gravy for the Holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I thought I may have gotten it in Italy but Steve said not unless I went there without him. :LOL:

Now that I think about it, I may have found it in someplace like "World Market". However, you can sign up here to be on the waiting list when it becomes available again. Mine is almost gone so I want more.

http://www.amazon.com/Drogheria-Alimentari-Natural-Grinder-Mushrooms/dp/B001EO5ZCE

Odd I checked for it on Amazon and found lots of the brand but no mention of the Porcini.

Oregon Mushroom has the European Dried Porcini, also. I just got their December E-mail.

Dried mushroom source

Our small grocery store, one of only three locations in the "chain", carries a line of spices/herbs/mushrooms from The Nutmeg Spice Company. I remember pacanis mentioning buying something from Nutmeg Spice from his local (PA) grocery store. Wondering just where their product is sold, I looked at their website and saw they are available in 48 states! I checked a few general cities from DC member locations and I'm guessing most of you guys have a store nearby that carries their line! Seeing as how their line offers 10 different dried mushroom varieties, it might not be too hard to hunt down what you need.

Maybe if you find Nutmeg Spice products in your store but they don't have the exact item you're looking for, you might ask the store manager to get it in. I know the corner store started out with a small rack offering about 10 items. Now they have two large "bookcase" shelving units and probably have every product Nutmeg sells! I know I've always been happy with anything I've used over the years. I'll still pick up a jar from the corner (3/4 miles away) instead of driving to Penzeys (45 miles) for even a couple spices!

By the way, these are sliced mushrooms. To get mushroom powder, all you have to do is whir the stems and small pieces in your spice mill, or pound the daylights out of them after putting them into a small bag. Mortar and pestle works too.

Last edited:
Heh! They are literally the "corner store" here, just around the corner. Pattee Creek Market has them, I'll have to take a wander. Little expensive at times, so I forget they are there.

Yay, news you can use! If Pattee Creek Market is just around the corner, at least the cost of gas will be less than if you had to have something shipped. Plus the containers of Nutmeg spices are what I would think are smaller quantities than bulk mail orders. I just measured one of their containers. It's just shy of 2 2/1 inches across the lid, just about 5 inches from the bottom to the base of the screw-on lid. Everything is sold in the same size container, but prices vary based on value of spice/herb/fungus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom