Our Best Gravy for the Holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I removed the two breast halves from the carcass and wrapped them individually for freezing. I boned the two thighs and wrapped them for freezing. The rest, I just broke down. Crushed the carcass/backbone, removed the wings. Made pieces small enough to fit nicely in the stockpot.

So I end up with the central carcass, thigh bones, drumsticks, wings and the turkey goodies bag all for making stock. I roasted these parts with mirepoix veggies and garlic then made stock. I simmer the stock for 5-6 hours.

Sounds like a great plan. I'm going to add that to my Thanksgiving time line for next year.

Sounds like a great plan. I'm going to add that to my Thanksgiving time line for next year.

The beauty is that you can do it anytime so you're not all worn out for the holiday. I did mine back on the 12th of the month when I first saw the $0.69/Lb price for the cheapo turkeys.

I only use homemade stock. I just can't phantom using canned stock. It is so easy to make stock. Although, I have now started dehydrating it because of freezer real estate issues. I love the smell of bones cooking...the veal stock I made last week is amazing. I do also love my "degreaser" that I use when making gravy (my friends love my gravy...I just make it like my grandma did--although I sometimes sneak some anchovy paste or fish sauce in, sour cream, or gjetost and lingonberries).

I did pretty much the same as GG - roasted some turkey parts with carrots, celery, onions, and herbs, then simmered slowly in water for a few hours and strained it. Refrigerated it overnight so I could break off and discard the solidified fat the next morning. My stock wasn't as rich looking as GG's :( but it tastes good.

I'll add some of the stock to the dressing when I make it the day before, and reserve the rest. While the turkey is resting, I'll make a gravy with the pan drippings and add the rest of the stock to the gravy.

I love home made stock, but I don't do it every year.

I doubt if my grandson and his GF know about making stock. So yesterday we made the gravy with just the turkey drippings. He poured it into the gravy separator and then we made the gravy. It was so delicious. I need to let them know about making their own stock. The two of them are so into cooking together and reading recipes. :angel:

My Best Gravy

2 tablespoons butter, melted and allow the milk solids to become browned
stir in 2 tablespoons AP flour, allow to become browned. Whisk in 1 cup of liquid.

Now the fun, add in the type of liquid you want your gravy to taste like. If you want a cream gravy, add in milk. Turkey add turkey stock, mushroom, mushroom stock and so forth.

You can also change up the fat you use, but stick to the ratios above.

This year, I added a tablespoon of porcini powder to my cooled turkey stock and stirred that into my butter roux. It was lovely!

My Best Gravy

stir in 2 tablespoons AP flour, allow to become browned. Whisk in 1 cup of liquid.

Now the fun, add in the type of liquid you want your gravy to taste like. If you want a cream gravy, add in milk. Turkey add turkey stock, mushroom, mushroom stock and so forth.

This year, I added a tablespoon of porcini powder to my cooled turkey stock and stirred that into my butter roux. It was lovely!

Gravy!!!

Just made some with the carcass stock. I'm eating it out of the pan, haven't put it on anything yet.

Last edited:
We're at friends house today for dinner. My wife asked for gravy. All they had was mushroom soup powder. So I made some gravy, my wife said it was the best gravy she ever had. Go figure ....

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

My Best Gravy

That sounds heavenly. Unfortunately, my supermarket does not stock exotic foods as such. They cater mostly to blue collar workers. And has a very large Latino customer base. They have two long and large aisles dedicated to their needs alone. But I still go down them because I often find foods that I think sound interesting and am willing to try. :angel:

I use the fat from the drippings to make the roux. I make a lot of roux and only use what I need.
Since I am using stock for gravy, why not just use the turkey fat renderings for the roux. It adds more turkey flavor and i don't have to waste my precious butter.

Over the last 20+ years I've created what my family calls the "best" gravy.

I begin by salting and peppering a couple of pounds of fresh turkey necks, then roast them, turning about halfway through roasting, until they're nice and brown and there are some nice brown bits in the bottom of the pan. I do add a slight bit of water in the beginning.

After they're roasted, I put them in a pan (along with the brown bits and juices from the roasting pan) and cover them with water. Bring them to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour. Once they're finished simmering, I remove them and reduce the liquid by about 30% to concentrate it.

To make my gravy, I combine the stock made from the necks and the potato water the potatoes are cooked in. Russets, not sweet potatoes.

The pan juices and bits from the turkey are then heated until they're sizzling and I make a slurry of some of the stock/potato water and flour and add that to thicken. Then, as I go along, I add the rest of the stock/potato water to the pan. The gravy always comes out a beautiful rick brown, nicely thickened, with a great turkey flavor.

PF and Addie...this is what I have but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it.

img_1400361_0_721715833d2e2128b207b1b3a7c631cc.jpg

I only see it on the Italian site Kayelle, nothing we can get here.

At first I thought I may have gotten it in Italy but Steve said not unless I went there without him. :LOL:

Now that I think about it, I may have found it in someplace like "World Market". However, you can sign up here to be on the waiting list when it becomes available again. Mine is almost gone so I want more.

http://www.amazon.com/Drogheria-Alimentari-Natural-Grinder-Mushrooms/dp/B001EO5ZCE

Back
Top Bottom