"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
"It was in a tub already grated " probably nbr. one problem.

I'm in the camp of 'that's the beauty of Parm' - it doesn't completely melt away - it is itself in sauces, if you use nice fresh parmigiano-reggiano.
Thats a little pricy for me, have never bought it. I just bought a block of Romano, would that have worked? Haven't opened it yet ! Iam just a old fashion cook, trying a few new things. Both set of grandparents were farmers, meat and potato people! Thanks all for your help and ideas !

Old 11-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #12
Master Chef

Some pre-grated cheese contains cellulose, to keep it from sticking together. It also prevents it from melting properly.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Barb. sometime treat yourself to just a tiny chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano. Shave off a bit with a vegetable peeler and let it melt in your mouth. Not one of the "grated Parm's" most folks use taste like that! It's very special. Once you know what that tastes like, you will be better able to choose soemthing that comes close...
Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #14
Master Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Barb. sometime treat yourself to just a tiny chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano. Shave off a bit with a vegetable peeler and let it melt in your mouth. Not one of the "grated Parm's" most folks use taste like that! It's very special. Once you know what that tastes like, you will be better able to choose soemthing that comes close...
Will do, if I can find a small chunk.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I have had good luck with the shredded parmesan sold in the resealable bag, I think it was probably Kraft. I always have to splurge in the store and buy myself a good hunk of cheese, too. Fresh mozzarella is my weakness! But so is homemade alfredo!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

I would suggest fresh Parmesan cheese and there are times when my doesn't melt either. After everything is cooked I put a lot of Parmean cheese of the top and it tastes fine.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
Master Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpj4
I would suggest fresh Parmesan cheese and there are times when my doesn't melt either. After everything is cooked I put a lot of Parmean cheese of the top and it tastes fine.
I just thought all cheese melts, guess not- but it did taste pretty good. Thanks for you input !
Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 AM   #18
Master Chef

Parmesano Regiano does melt. In fact, there is an appetizer made by plcing small blobs of grated parm on parchemnt paper and baking in the oven until they become flat, lighlty browned disks of melted parmesan. They are then removed and allowed to cool, and served up with appropriate meals and snacks.

If you use fresh parmensano regiano and grate it into your sauce, it should combine smoothly into the sauce. With the pre-grated stuff, or the dried stuff in a can, you are defintely taking chances with the quality of your sauce, that is if you expect to have a satiny-smooth sauce.

I'm in the camp that yes, it still tastes great to sprinkle fresh parmesan on foods, and have the light crunchiness and flavor of the cheese add to the dish. But if you want a smooth sauce, don't settle for anything less. It can be done succesfully if proper technique and good ingredients are used.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #19
Sous Chef

The thing with fresh, authentic Parmigiano Reggiano is the flavour. Ageing the Parmigiano is key to its extraordinary flavour, and no pre-grated, pre-packed imitation will ever come up to scratch, because it is neither aged as long, nor in the same conditions.
What am I trying to say? For every kilo (or pound) of cheap parmesan you use, you'd probably only need half that amount of the real thing.
There's an interesting saying over here:
"Lo barato sale caro" (Cheap stuff usually works out expensive!)
Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I've had problems with gorgonzola breaking on me but never had a problem with fresh grated parm-reg. What I usually do is first, grate the cheese and let it come to room temperature then add it to whatever sauce before it gets too hot. Any white sauce I make comes off the stove just a tad early to kep the consistancy I want. I think I would take the advise of others and do away with the cheese your buying and get a piece of parm-reg. It lasts a long time, when it's done I use the rind in sauces too.

Tags
None