Pasta Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryanparrish

Assistant Cook
I did a search for a pasta sauce and couldn't find one

I want to make my own sauce for chicken parmigana and baked ziti what would the forum suggest

Here is a link for some spaghetti sauce recipes. See if there's anything there. I think "spaghetti sauce" is what you want to search for.

Get a few cans of whole, peeled italian tomatoes. Sauté chopped garlic in olive oil, but don't brown...add the canned tomatoes, S&P, a bit of grated parmesan cheese and simmer slowly a couple of hours or so. Break the tomatoes apart as it cooks.

I use a Dutch Oven pan. Heat the pan and add EVOO approximately 2 tablespoons.

Are you using meat? Pork and Beef fine choice. A sausage and meatballs
would be good. Brown your meat . Remove and place in a bowl

Suate 1/4 chopped onion

4 to 5 cloves of garlic (remove the green center from the garlic cloves)

I use tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes (Hunt's). One of each..28 oz

Cook the tomato,onion,garlic about 1/2 hour. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar,about a teaspoon of parsley,basil..a small sprinkle of oregano. And one wine glass of red port wine. Cover and simmer/low heat.

Add the meat and let cook an additional 1/2 hour.

Cover to cook the tomato and just before using the Sauce..."tilt the cover"
(let the steam excape and thicken your sauce). Questions???

Aria said:
I use a Dutch Oven pan. Heat the pan and add EVOO approximately 2 tablespoons.

Are you using meat? Pork and Beef fine choice. A sausage and meatballs
would be good. Brown your meat . Remove and place in a bowl

Suate 1/4 chopped onion

4 to 5 cloves of garlic (remove the green center from the garlic cloves)

I use tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes (Hunt's). One of each..28 oz

Cook the tomato,onion,garlic about 1/2 hour. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar,about a teaspoon of parsley,basil..a small sprinkle of oregano. And one wine glass of red port wine. Cover and simmer/low heat.

Add the meat and let cook an additional 1/2 hour.

Cover to cook the tomato and just before using the Sauce..."tilt the cover"
(let the steam excape and thicken your sauce). Questions???

I like your recipe but when I was looked at some of the recipes they siad they used tomato paste for a thickener is the true? also some reciepes said to add carots and celery what do these vegetables add to a sauce? also for your recipe can I substitute wine for balsamic vinegar I am not 21 yet :) also some one suggested me to run my sauce through a blender to make it smooth is that true?

No vinegar. Just omit the wine. The carrot can be added to the sauce while cooking. The carrot(some say) takes the bitter tomato taste. No blender.
Some use tomato paste. I do not. If you like the sauce to be thicker...remove your cover sooner and watch it..stir. (don't want it to get too thick or stick to the bottom of your pan).

The recipe was my Grandmothers (it has been tried and proven to be fine at our house).

Aria said:
No vinegar. Just omit the wine. The carrot can be added to the sauce while cooking. The carrot(some say) takes the bitter tomato taste. No blender.
Some use tomato paste. I do not. If you like the sauce to be thicker...remove your cover sooner and watch it..stir. (don't want it to get too thick or stick to the bottom of your pan).

The recipe was my Grandmothers (it has been tried and proven to be fine at our house).

Thanks for the help I will use this :) what would you serve as an entree?

Right now a bowl of minestrone, chicken parm and fettucine sounds great.

ryanparrish, If your are going to use your Pasta Sauce for Pasta I would recommend a fresh green salad: baby greens mixture, sliced onion, small squares of sharp cheese, green & black olives,marinated artichokes with a
evvo and wine vinegar dressing.

Aria said:
ryanparrish, If your are going to use your Pasta Sauce for Pasta I would recommend a fresh green salad: baby greens mixture, sliced onion, small squares of sharp cheese, green & black olives,marinated artichokes with a
evvo and wine vinegar dressing.

oooooo that does sound good back to the store :) I knocked out the pasta sauce I used the diced crushed tomatoes and the tomato sauce and it cooked to the desired consitency I even threw in 3 fresh tomatos the tomatos and I subsituted the brown sugar for honey. I cooked it with rosemary, thyme, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley. I did puree it because I am cooking for finicky adults and kids so I got it to the texture of a packaged sauce. I wouldn't do this if I was cooking for my self or my Girlfriend because we both liked how rustic the pasta sauce looked before puree. This is the best tomato sauce I have tasted better then the packaged the tomato sauce has such a fresh tomato taste it is really good it really perks up the taste buds. Thanks so much the dinner is tomorrow night hopefully it is a hit :)

The dinner went over fantastically everyone loved the sauce as it sat overnight in the fridge it lost some of its tomato taste and the herbs really came out thanks again :)

pasta sauce

Pasta is a main food in Italy.Sauces can be made in varities but only certain sauce can goes good with pasta.Normally tomato based is good.Some pasta names are macrooni,sphagheti,ravioli,bow and many more.

Recipe:

Bolongonaise sauce:Tomato puree,ch.onion,garlic,beef mince,cinnamon,beef stock.cook untill the raw flavour goes out.finally add the prepared pasta.

A couple of good techniques for a red sauce:

As your veggies are becoming nice and soft, throw your tin of tomato paste in there, and stir it around, sautee it for awhile..it will darken to a nice brick red color. this is nice for flavor.

also, keep some sugar on hand in case your sauce gets too bitter. taste often.

use GOOD tomatoes, not tomatoes like Del Monte, Hunts, etc, generic store tomatoes.

order some San Marzano tomatoes from italy if you can't find them in your local grocer or gourmet food store. Muir Glen are also good.

29373.jpg

F1265.jpg

Not that much more expensive. Still only a couple bucks a tin.

Last edited:
jennerose said:
Pasta is a main food in Italy.

Actually, spaghetti or maccheroni are a main food in Italy. Pasta, usually pasta delle biblioteche, is used by school children to attach small pieces of paper to larger ones during craft classes. ;)

Last edited:
jennerose said:
Pasta is a main food in Italy.Sauces can be made in varities but only certain sauce can goes good with pasta.Normally tomato based is good. ...

Although there is some preference for certain sauces, or sauces with a certain consistency, for a particular type of pasta among Italian cooks - there is no hard and fast LAW that precludes you from experimenting ...

Caine said:
Actually, spaghetti or maccheroni are a main food in Italy. Pasta, usually pasta delle biblioteche, is used by school children to attach small pieces of paper to larger ones during craft classes.

Pasta is a generic term - which can be formed in many shapes. Although the Italian word pasta does translate into the English word "paste" - in common everyday culinary terms - it has nothing to do with Library Paste (pasta delle biblioteche)! But, that is assuming that you know how to cook pasta ...

Pasta is a main food in Italy.Sauces can be made in varities but only certain sauce can goes good with pasta.Normally tomato based is good.Some pasta names are macrooni,sphagheti,ravioli,bow and many more.

Recipe:

Bolongonaise sauce:Tomato puree,ch.onion,garlic,beef mince,cinnamon,beef stock.cook untill the raw flavour goes out.finally add the prepared pasta.
if this is how to make bolognese, I'll stick to my recipe, sorry to say, this sounds waaaay off to me

I did a search for a pasta sauce and couldn't find one

I want to make my own sauce for chicken parmigana and baked ziti what would the forum suggest

Hi. Let see if you like this one. I warn you I have a feeling for "amounts" so I make my own recepies and never write down amounts!!!!!

Four or five Ripe large Tomatoes......Chop them up but don´t make a sludge!! leave the pieces relatively nice (?)

Two heads of Garlik...crushed

At least 2 large Onions cut in rounds

Chopped Chinese Onions....the long skinny ones

A bunch of fresh Basil cut in strips

One large leaf of Oregano

You can also add some other type of herbs "But" in small ammounts, this
trick will give " Your special unique flavor" to the sauce.

Throw all this in cookware rather shallow, start the fire at high and drop a chunk of butter and lots of "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" as it starts to cook pour in a cup of water, salt, Fresh grinded pepper---if you can get the green one, the better--- lower the fire and stir constantly---ok, you can let it alone for a few minutes----if you think its too thick, drop another half cup of water----keep stirring!!!, I use a wooden spoom always, never metal!!! that´s a sin..........ok now it beggins to boil again, good!!!! Now---trick number 2!!!!!--pour in 2 tablespoons of the best Red Wine you can get. Keep stirring for a few minute and Wala!!!!!!! its done. Now "melt" the cheese you want to use mixed again with a very little ammount of the above olive oil....Ok!!! place the melted cheese on top of "whatever" and pour the sauce on top, serve right away really hot!!!!!..........:chef::chef:
Gera

My wife wanted meatballs and a salad last night so I whipped up an easy Marinara sauce. Meatballs came from the family owned neighborhood butcher.

Ingredients:

One 28 oz Can Tomato Puree
One 14.5 Can Tomato Paste
One 6 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
Three Cloves Garlic
Medium Onion
Olive Oil
One Half Cup Dry Wine
Italian Seasonings
Sugar
Salt & Pepper

Sorry, I do not measure seasonings. I add what seems right to me and adjust to taste while cooking. I like to smash the diced tomatoes with a fork before adding.

Sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Its best if you refrigerate overnight before using, I did not as my wife informed me of her desire yesterday afternoon. At that point I added the meatballs and let simmer for another 30 minutes then turned the heat way down and let sit until dinner, an hour later.

A couple of crusty rolls, salad, the meatballs, and we were happy campers.

img_530881_0_669a5785d16b5d42eb3be6283fe9ae18.jpg

I've just recently started adding carrot and celery to my sauce. I think it just adds another layer of flavor. I dice them pretty small, they all but melt away in the hours of simmering. DH and I like a thick, semi-chunky sauce tho. My kids rarely have jarred sauce, only at other people's houses. I like to think I'm doing them a favor... as my parents did the same for me.
I can't serve spaghetti here when my nieces are here, they all stand around looking at the pot going "ewwwww what is that?!".. These are however also children that are given a box of graham crackers and a can of frosting for after school snack, and then take off to McDonalds for dinner. I try not to get too offended. They don't know any better!

Back
Top Bottom