"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Pasta sauce question

Today i made a creamy pasta sauce, flavoured with garlic, basil, and black pepper.
I also had some chillies. I did not add them to the pasta sauce, becasue i was afraid they would over power the basil. And i did not want to ruin my delicious fresh basil.
Have u ever put basil with chillies, to flavour pasta sauce. If so, how did they taste, together?
Mel

Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel!
Today i made a creamy pasta sauce, flavoured with garlic, basil, and black pepper.
I also had some chillies. I did not add them to the pasta sauce, becasue i was afraid they would over power the basil. And i did not want to ruin my delicious fresh basil.
Have u ever put basil with chillies, to flavour pasta sauce. If so, how did they taste, together?
Mel
Since dried basil isn't even close in flavor and texture to fresh basil I only use fresh. I don't add chilies to basil because the freshness of the basil flavor would be compromised. If anything I may sprinkle a few hot pepper flakes over the dish but that's it. Creamy pasta sauce with fresh basil, garlic and black pepper as you describe is good just the way it is.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Many Thai dishes combine basil and peppers. I think those dishes tend to go pretty heavy on the basil though.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Yea, what GB said.....
Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Master Chef

I put basil in with my peppers to make salsa. I'm not fond of cilantro, so I use basil instead. I know it's not authentic, but it tastes good to me.

By the way, I've seen a lot of Italian cooks use a few dried crushed chilies in pasta dishes.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I would never put chiles in my pasta sauce, and neither would any other self-respecting Italian. My sainted Sicilain grandmother would roll over in her grave. You never know what degree of spiciness your guests will like. That's why there is always a shaker of crushed red pepper on the table of every Italian restaurant.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
You never know what degree of spiciness your guests will like.
I can't really agree with this. I often know what level of spice my guest like. If I am cooking for my family then I know they like it hot. If I am cooking for my wifes family then I know they like some heat, but not as much as my family. If I am cooking for a certain buddy of mine then I know he used to not like the heat, but has since grown to enjoy it and can handle as much as I can (which is a good amount).

I agree that if you are cooking for people and you don't know what they can handle then you need to be careful, but to say you never know what degree your guests can handle just doesn't work for me.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks for all those replies.
I really like the ones about keeping a shaker of chillies on the table, and the one about sprinkling a few dried chillies on the finished dish. I think i will do those ideas.
Mel
Old 09-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I would never put chiles in my pasta sauce, and neither would any other self-respecting Italian. My sainted Sicilain grandmother would roll over in her grave. You never know what degree of spiciness your guests will like. That's why there is always a shaker of crushed red pepper on the table of every Italian restaurant.
There are as many ways to make pasta sauce as there are italians. I've got nothing but the highest respect for myself and see nothing wrong with making a sauce that would include chili pepper. I also believe there are any number of ways to ascertain if your guests like a little heat in their sauce. Communication comes to mind...
Old 09-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
Sous Chef

If you like chiles, then add them to your sauce. Just a few sniffles at a time!
I add them to my pasta. In fact, I've got several Sicilian recipes which specifically call for chiles. How they got there, I don't know, although I'd imagine it was the "Conquistador" route of the 16th century.

What ever rocks your boat!

Tags
None