Pesto Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
2 cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed, and Packed in a glass cup measure, washed, patted dry
2-3 good size garlic cloves, chopped

1 cup walnuts coarsely broken

1 cup best quality olive oil
1 cup grated Parmesan reggiano cheese

¼ cup grated imported Romano cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the basil, garlic and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Chop. until mostly blended. Stop and stir down between pulses.
Leave the motor running and add the olive oil in a slow steady stream.

Shut the motor off. Add the cheeses, a big pinch salt and a liberal grinding of pepper. Process briefly , then scrape out into a bowl . Cover until ready too use.
Makes 2 cups or enough to sauce 2 pounds pasta.

Pesto may be frozen in a zip lock freezer bag. Discoloration may occur when frozen. It refreshes itself again when thawed. I usually add a small amount fresh parmesan after thawing and give it a stir. I sometimes liquefy some parsley and stir that in if it's been frozen and the color isn't bright enough green.
Source-- old Bon Appétit magazine ( undated)

PS. Basil is available at farmer's markets in bunches in summer. Makes several batches. Costco is a good source for parmesan reggiano. Lemon basil makes a nice variation. Or add a squeeze lemon juice before serving.

Since I am allergic to pine nuts, I use walnuts/almonds/hazelnuts in pesto. The tweak I would add, Whiska, is to dry roast the nuts. I have also used Swiss Chard + basil or fresh coriander + basil when I haven't had 2 c of basil. I also have used a combination of Thai basil + regular basil + lemon basil, the sky's the limit. I'm thinking of making a pesto using nasturtium leaves and flowers this summer. The key is to use good quality cheese and olive oil. I freeze it in ice cube trays, top each cube with EVOO, and then pop those into a ziplock bag when frozen.

Last edited:
"...thinking of making a pesto using nasturtium leaves and flowers this summer.

I freeze it in ice cube trays, top each cube with EVOO, and then pop those into a ziplock bag when frozen. "

I like both these ideas CWS.

Thanks. I too have it copied and saved. I have more basil than I know what to do with.

How about some ideas as to how to serve it? Over pasta? Whats your favorite way to eat pesto?

Back
Top Bottom