"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
funny, i didn't read that anywhere.
I didn't say he wrote that - I said he seems to be presenting it that way.

There are a lot of new cooks around who might get the idea that this is an authentic, generally accepted recipe for pomodoro sauce rather than an individual variation of a classic. I think there's value in knowing the difference.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
jenny, i'm curious, do you do soemthing different than create a sauce around chopped meat for your bolognese? i mean, you'd add a lot of the same ingredients that create a sauce with the meat, thus the bolognese, right?
adding an already made basic sauce to browned beef isn't that far of a strectch, imo.
Bolognese sauce includes milk, which is rare, maybe unique, in a tomato/meat sauce, as far as I know. Not claiming to be an expert, of course, that's just what I gather from a lot of reading.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I didn't say he wrote that - I said he seems to be presenting it that way.

There are a lot of new cooks around who might get the idea that this is an authentic, generally accepted recipe for pomodoro sauce rather than an individual variation of a classic. I think there's value in knowing the difference.

agreed about new cooks, however, i sure hope that the new cooks here don't become afraid to post a recipe for fear of being attacked for presentation, or ingredients, or authenticity.

a little "thanks for posting, but i have a question" woulda been nice.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

It's not "recipe assasination" Bucky - it's the implicated tone of the post that "This Is It" (which it ain't).

GotGarlic "got" it - lol!! If Weeks had just said he had an interesting recipe for Pomodoro Sauce, I'd consider it just a variation. But the tone of the post was definitely "This Is IT". If you're posting a "This Is It" kind of recipe, you really need to be sure that what you're posting is the real deal. And I seriously doubt this is a recipe for true authentic Italian Pomodoro sauce. I don't have any recipes for Pomodoro that are solely my own, but if I can scare up some links that come from some of my old Italian cookbooks or scare up some of my old-country friends, I'll post back.

One thing I will say is that butternut squash doesn't come into play in basic Italian sauces like Pomodoro. Definitely not in any Italian sauces that would be considered "mother sauce" bases for Bolognese, Puttenesca, etc., etc.

Here's a Food Network link to a recipe that comes closes to a true "Pomodoro" - aka "Italian tomato mother sauce":

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_12258,00.html

There are lots of others, but they're basically the same.

What Weeks posted was an interesting Italian tomato sauce recipe - but it has absolutely zero to do with Pomodoro sauce.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
Master Chef

You could use this basic sauce to make puttanesca or amatriciana or other sauces that are created by adding in ingredients but not bolognese.

Bolognese is a very specific sauce using a specific technique. It's not adding tomato sauce to ground beef. The latter is fine. I do it all the time and this sauce would be fine for that purpose, but it's not Bolognese sauce.

Bolognese all about the layered flavors of the meat and vegetables, wine and milk. Tomatoes (plain) or tomato paste are used, though are not a key ingredient. You would not want to substitute a flavored sauce like this.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

jenny, i understand your point, but i doubt you could tell the difference if a basic sauce were added to the other ingredients, instead of building it. adding a little tomato sauce instead of paste and tomatoes, as you've said, is only a small part of the sauce, so the difference would be hard to tell, imo.

breezy, so, let me get this straight.

there's only ONE recipe for these sauces? and only ONE method of preparing them.

geez, all this time i thought that there were lots of recipes and interpretations for most things, especially italian dishes. and people should be thanked for their input.

omg, i can't believe i was sooo wrong. can you forgive me?

ya know, i tried to make a joke about it to lighten the inquisition, but if it walks like a duck...

Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Question

I would like to know what size cans are the diced tomatoes? I will certainly give this one a try out.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

BUT IT'S ALL WRONG!!! DON"T YOU GET IT...

how dare you ask!!!!!

lol, j/k, busyfingers.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
breezy, so, let me get this straight.

there's only ONE recipe for these sauces? and only ONE method of preparing them.

geez, all this time i thought that there were lots of recipes and interpretations for most things, especially italian dishes. and people should be thanked for their input.

omg, i can't believe i was sooo wrong. can you forgive me?

ya know, i tried to make a joke about it to lighten the inquisition, but if it walks like a duck...
I must have missed the joke part. Bucky, there are names for recipes for a reason, just like things have names - it's so we can all communicate without unnecessary confusion. Yes, there are lots of recipes and interpretations, but they should be labeled as such and not presented as *the* one if it's not.

As a computer guy, this should makes sense to you. Don't you hate it when a computer user needing support tries to explain what they did but they use the terminology wrong and then say, "Well, that's what *I* call it." Well, we can get to the bottom of the problem a whole lot easier if we all use the same terms.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

my joke was about the godfather, and that authenticity was not important. it snowballed from there.

i understand your point about using common language (i'm smart enough to know when an idiotic user is fumbling through an explanation to go look at the problem myself), but my objection was to the rudeness of the replies.

i can kinda see how you're reading this as weeks saying that this is the definitive sauce, but he really never said those words. the fault still doesn't lie in the interpretation, but the fact that it was replied to as such.

ok, tapping out.

Tags
None