"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Question Puree Help

Hi

I am not that much of a cook but I am trying to learn. I have a wrap that normally uses a cottage cream as the sauce. This time around I can't use it because my fiancee is jewish and can't eat diary and meat. So I want to try a mango puree as the main sauce. I wanto add for a little spice a dash of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cliantro. I haven't really tried to make a puree and would like some advice on how to make it.

Thank you all

__________________

__________________
battleangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
SurvivorGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada Eh! {Muahaha! ;)}
Posts: 861
It would prolly be helpful if you could post the recipe.
__________________

__________________
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
If it is a wrap, I would recommend not making a puree. I would leave it chunky. If you have a puree then it will drip out much more than if you leave it chunky. Do it more like a thick salsa. Use checks of mango with cilantro and the other things you mentioned. Maybe a chopped up jalapeño if you want some heat.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
It would prolly be helpful if you could post the recipe.
Well their is no recipe, this something I thought of myself:
3/4 of a mango
1/2 tsp of Sea Salt
1/2 tsp of Ground Black Pepper
3 ml of squeezed lemon juice
About 3 or 4 cilantro leave

Does this help ?
__________________
battleangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleangela
Well their is no recipe, this something I thought of myself:
3/4 of a mango
1/2 tsp of Sea Salt
1/2 tsp of Ground Black Pepper
3 ml of squeezed lemon juice
About 3 or 4 cilantro leave

Does this help ?
I think she meant the recipe for the wrap. That way we can help you determine if the mango will work or recommend a better alternative.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
I think she meant the recipe for the wrap. That way we can help you determine if the mango will work or recommend a better alternative.
Ah

Well I am going to use a brined chicken, as the bread for the wrap, filled with the mango sauce, and wraped in turkey bacon. Held by little stakes to keep together. Then baked at 375 for about 20 mins.
__________________
battleangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleangela
Ah

Well I am going to use a brined chicken, as the bread for the wrap, filled with the mango sauce, and wraped in turkey bacon. Held by little stakes to keep together. Then baked at 375 for about 20 mins.
Ah ok. Hope it turns out. With the flavors that you're using (chicken and turkey bacon), and considering that you're baking it, you might want to consider a tomato based sauce like a romesco. To me, the mango flavor is left best uncooked and served as is. Also, when you slice it, the mango puree will start pouring out.

If you're determined to make a mango sauce, why don't you stuff the chicken with something like crab meat and serve the mango sauce on the side for people to dip the chicken in?
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Ah ok. Hope it turns out. With the flavors that you're using (chicken and turkey bacon), and considering that you're baking it, you might want to consider a tomato based sauce like a romesco. To me, the mango flavor is left best uncooked and served as is. Also, when you slice it, the mango puree will start pouring out.

If you're determined to make a mango sauce, why don't you stuff the chicken with something like crab meat and serve the mango sauce on the side for people to dip the chicken in?
Nice idea, about the crab meat and sauce to the side. Thanks
__________________

__________________
battleangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.