Question about Fish Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I have noticed this ingredient in many recipes, especially, asian type dishes. What is this? What does it do for flavor? Is there anything that can be substitued for this?

Why would you want to substitute something for it? Fish sauce is fantastic. Shouldn't be too hard for you to get ahold of some. As for what it does to flavor, it's salty and tasty, used like soy sauce. Though i only add it while cooking or in sauces, i have never added it to cooked food.

Last edited:
The reason that I asked about substitution is that I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of things that are easily found in cities.
I have to order things online or drive more than 30 miles for one thing and it's not worth the cost of gas.

Texasgirl, if you plan on cooking alot of asian dishes i reccomend you order some online. It's good solid stuff, and vital in quite a few dishes.

Hi TX GL:

I love and use fish sauce everyday. I like the brand that has three crabs on the label.
It smells to High Heaven in the bottle but it adds another level of seasoning to anything i is added to.

A small amount goes a long way and I add to dishes where salt is needed. Not only Asian dishes but soups, stews, chile, salad dressings made from scratch.

It is made by layering fish and salt in large casks and letting it ferment for a few weeks. They drain the fish sauce from the bottom of the cask when the curing process is finished. Even the Romans made a similar sauce 2000 yrs ago.

I have been using it for many years, let me know if you have questions about this in the future.

The stuff has an infinite shelf life and is cheap in Asian Groceries - Buy several bottles
Bob

Last edited:
TG:

It's good stuff and essential to a lot of Thai dishes. Next time you're in the big city, I'd recommend picking up a bottle. It's not costly and will last for a log time.

If I needed some and didn't have any, I think I'd leave it out rather than substituting.

I bet you can find it online somewhere too. It is an essential flavor in a lot of Thai dishes and other dishes as well. There really is no substitute. Alone it is not always a pleasant flavor, but in combination with other things it does great things to food :)

I would agree with the above posters that there really isnt a substitute for real fish sauce. However, if you are having trouble finding it there are recipes for "mock fish sauce" that you can use in a pinch:

simmer for 10 minutes: 1 can drained anchovies + 2 cloves bruised and peeled garlic + 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar + 1/4 teaspoon salt + 1 1/4 cups water, then strain.

or

simmer for 10 minutes: 1 part soy sauce + 4 parts anchovies

or

soak anchovies from one small can (about 14 fillets) in 1 cup water, strain, then add 2 tablespoons soy sauce.

Hope that helps... :chef:

Texasgirl - if you decide to order online make it worth your while - fine a place such as this and order some fish sauce, some kaffir lime leaves, red curry paste, and coconut milk. If you can find low fat coconut milk it tastes just as good. I would also be tempted to order some lemongrass. This will freeze nicely.

At all of these url's there are also recipes associated with the products. You won't be sorry if you are going to cook Thai.

You'll also find other uses for this stuff too - if you decide to order stuff like the iingredients listed above I, along with others, will supply you with more recipes!!

Wow, thanks elf!! Nice to see you here today.

Have you ordered from this place before? I tend to be a little nervous about ordering online from unknown places.

Fish sauce combined with lime juice, sugar, and a little sambal makes a great dipping sauce for spring rolls or Vietnamese eggrolls. They serve it like this in the Pho restaurants here in Houston. I put some in the soup too.
Ross

RosCoe said:
Fish sauce combined with lime juice, sugar, and a little sambal makes a great dipping sauce for spring rolls or Vietnamese eggrolls. They serve it like this in the Pho restaurants here in Houston. I put some in the soup too.
Ross

Yep, that would be one of the recipes I would give her to use up some more! I love that dipping sauce for fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls!!! Since I'm a cilantro fan I like to throw some of that in there too! lol Or I just add cilantro to my fresh spring rolls.

Fish sauce is a must for Asian cooking. I am not all that fond of eating fish, but using sauces like fish and Worcestershire sauce don't seem to bother me. They both add something to a dish for which there really is not any substitute for. I am also like you, in that I don't have a major store for at least 50 miles. Our local store is good for the milk, bread, basic produce, etc. but anything unusual I have to buy in Reno, NV. So, I just stock up on the sauces and condiments that are my favorites everytime I go there.

corazon90 said:
Planning on making two things this weekend, one calls for fish sauce and the other calls for oyster sauce. Do you think I could just use fish sauce for both? sorry to highjack tg...

I feel the same way GB does. If you can find fish sauce you can usually definately find oyster sauce. It's in with the soy, hoisin, etc. other sauces in with the other Chinese/Japanese/Asian things. It has a unique flavor of it's own and will be missed if left out. They are very different textures too. Fish sauce can be shaken out of a bottle (like a malt vinegar) and Oyster Sauce is a sauce that is much thicker than ketchup.

corazon90 said:
Planning on making two things this weekend, one calls for fish sauce and the other calls for oyster sauce. Do you think I could just use fish sauce for both? sorry to highjack tg...

GB and kitchenelf are correct... fish sauce is really different from oyster sauce. If you absolutely cannot find oyster sauce you could substitute it for hoisin sauce or sweet bean sauce. It will be sweeter and not have the same flavour, but it can work in a pinch. Or you can make your own but it's a bit of a hassle. Here is a recipe if you decide to give it a go!

Bring to a boil, then simmer in a covered pot for 30 minutes: 2 cups fresh oysters + 3 cups water + 1 cup bottled clam juice + 1 teaspoon salt + 1 clove of garlic + white portion of 1 green onion + 1 slice of fresh ginger root, then add a mixture of 1/4 cup soy sauce + 1 teaspoon sugar + 2 teaspoons cornstarch + 3 tablespoons water, and simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally, then strain out the solids in the sauce and discard. (can be store in airtight container in the fridge for a couple of weeks)

Back
Top Bottom