"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #11
Hospitality Queen

It's the evolution of "Darren's International Barbeque Sauce"
(hey, we have members from other countries....!)

Keep us posted.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
And now, we move on to iteration three.

For this, I started with the idea of making a half-recipe, because I had half of a six-ounce can of tomato paste conveniently handy. To that, I added two cups of Dr. Pepper, in order to bring more of its flavor to the party. I also forgot it brings more sweetness, too.

I replaced the sugar, molasses, and corn syrup with 1/3 cup of brown sugar. This was too much, as I ended up with a very tasty but rather sweet sauce, as I forgot to account for the added sweetness of the extra DP. Nonetheless, this is far-and-away a singlularly excellent barbecue sauce.

Here is the recipe as it stands now, for about one cup of final sauce:

• 2 cups Dr. Pepper
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/4 cup onions, finely diced
  • The juice and zest of one lemon
  • 3 ounces (1/2 of a small can) of tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (I'd definitely cut this back for next time.)
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. fresh-ground pepper (I used white pepper)
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder (more or less to taste)
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
First, saute the onions in a little of the oil in the pan you'll simmer the sauce in (no need to dirty extra pans). After they're browned a bit, turn the heat down, add the rest of the oil, then the Dr. Pepper. Then add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Let it simmer until reduced to desired thickness (about one cup or so). Let it cool, then puree it nice and smooth with a stick blender or a stand blender. This will also emulsify the sauce so the oil stays integrated.

For next time, I'll stick with this recipe, minus a lot of that brown sugar, although some may like the extra sweetness this brings. I used light brown sugar, but I think maybe a tablespoon of dark brown sugar would bring the desired flavor without adding too much sweetness. This sauce has such a nice flavor to it that I think it will find lots of use in my kitchen from here on out. In other words, I really think iteration four will be The One.

There is, however, one other variation I'd like to try. Here in Michigan, there is a soda company called Fanta, that makes a flavor called Rock 'n' Rye. It's a cherry-like flavor with spicy notes like DP. I think it would make a great barbecue sauce. I'll let you know how it goes.

Enjoy!

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #13
Hospitality Queen

Fanta! I wonder if they still have that out here - I ought to check.

Darren, this sauce is sounding mighty tasty!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consul
There is, however, one other variation I'd like to try. Here in Michigan, there is a soda company called Fanta, that makes a flavor called Rock 'n' Rye. It's a cherry-like flavor with spicy notes like DP. I think it would make a great barbecue sauce. I'll let you know how it goes.
Fanta? Don't you mean Faygo? I'm just a transplant, but I know I've had Faygo Rock'n Rye. I've asked PeppA (a Michigander native), and she says only Faygo has that flavor.

I thought the Rock'n Rye flavor was different. Of course, I'm still not used to Vernor's.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:23 AM   #15
Master Chef

The original recipe sounds like something that originated during World War II when sugar was rationed ... you couldn't get sugar but you could buy a soda. Recipes like this with Dr. Pepper, Coke, and Rootbeer were common especially in the South.

Sugar, brown sugar, molasses, and corn syrup are all sugar!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I'm going to BBQ some Big Beef ribs soon, (these are bigger than pork) for the guys, and was kinda looking for a new sauce. I also want to lose the ketchup flavor so I will have to modify it somewhat. The brown sugar and mollasass could be the answer.
I'll keep monitoring this thread to see how this recipe really comes out.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #17
Executive Chef

My friend Belly (RIP) used to marinade his briskets in Dr Pepper. We never had any, but folks said it was good.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #18
Senior Cook

The ribs turned out just great! I had a little too much heat though because I put in Red cracked pepper and some cyanne too! But we washed it down with ice cold beer and everyone was happy. They just fell off the bones!
Now I have some leftover for lunch today! Hmnn good, can't wait!
Too bad we can't post pictures with our messages so you can see them!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
I will say once more that I am very happy with how this sauce has turned out. I know iteration four will be supreme.

Yes, I meant Faygo, not Fanta. Fanta is a Pepsi-owned soda that those colorful and very annoying girls advertise. Sorry, I'm new to the area. I still think the Rock & Rye would make a good base for this sauce. I'll definitely give it a shot. Of course, the advantage to the DP is that it's available anywhere.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:48 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Too bad we can't post pictures with our messages so you can see them!
Oh, but you can, Pete! Use the same method you used to post your photos in the gallery.

Tags
None