"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #21
Master Chef

I like to drink this very sweet red wine, and that is what I use in my meat sauce. Kind of kills two birds with one stone. Because it is sweet I do not have to add sugar to kill acidity, but that's just me. You see to each it's own. I hate dry wine. Can't stand it.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
In my "neck" of the woods that statement would cause an uproar
The country store down the road is fully stocked with all flavors of Boones
Several of our friends, my hubby and I used to pass around a bottle or two of Boone's while sitting around the campfire at the campground we stayed all summer. We had no class, but we had one heck of a lot of fun. Can't drink that wine today and certainly can't pass the bottle around. Too bad we grew up.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Several of our friends, my hubby and I used to pass around a bottle or two of Boone's while sitting around the campfire at the campground we stayed all summer. We had no class, but we had one heck of a lot of fun. Can't drink that wine today and certainly can't pass the bottle around. Too bad we grew up.
You had class - - - just like me - - - - we had a LOT of class - - - - it was just all "low" awwwwww - those were the days!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I was trained to use red wine in most pomodoro based sauces, but now I prefer to use white wines. IMO it brings out a much better flavor with the tomatoes, as long as you're not using a white wine that has a high acidity. Two key liquid ingredients that I use when making a tomato based pasta sauce are white wine and chicken broth/stock. The combination of the two give the sauce a very well rounded and balanced flavor, while also adding some savoriness and I guess what could be called umami to the sauce.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
I was trained to use red wine in most pomodoro based sauces, but now I prefer to use white wines. IMO it brings out a much better flavor with the tomatoes, as long as you're not using a white wine that has a high acidity. Two key liquid ingredients that I use when making a tomato based pasta sauce are white wine and chicken broth/stock. The combination of the two give the sauce a very well rounded and balanced flavor, while also adding some savoriness and I guess what could be called umami to the sauce.
I'll bet that tastes good, but that is very un-Italian!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I'll bet that tastes good, but that is very un-Italian!
LOL that's true, but I guess that's why I like it because it doesn't taste like a traditional Italian pomodoro. It brings something different to the table. But I won't use the chicken stock if making something like linguine al vongole. For something like arrabiata I will.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I use white wine too. I haven't tried the chicken stock, but I'll give it a shot next time.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I tried Lambruco a few months ago, can't figure out why I liked it, too sweet and watery, Lancer's almost the same, I guess I have grow up taste wise.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Riunite is the brand of Lambrusco. Wouldn't have remembered that name in a million years. We did a lot of Lancers' too in that little funny looking brown bottle. Ummm, I wasn't a kid. Anybody remember Boones Farm? That's when we were poor and had no class. LOL. Two bottles for $4.50.

I remember Boone's Farm for $.99

When I make my standard big old pot of red sauce I don't add wine. Only when making other types of sauce. I do drink the wine, however, while making it.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #30
Senior Cook

oh noo whine is not to be put into any spaghetti sauce,neither ketchup is good for this purpose,I am sorry,for a delicious spaghetti sauce you may gather in a pan smoked bacon,onions,olive oil,green olives,chopped tomatoes, chilly,or paprika powder,everything chopped and fried for at least 15 minutes untill the sauce is well cooked.

Tags
None