"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
wine without "h".
PS the bloody Italians you are referring to, prefer drinking wine or using it for meat dishes,for instance,for risotto ( risotto with mushrooms requires white wine) and in many other recipies but NOT IN SPAGHETTI SAUCES.
No matter at all... if you like keep on pouring wine in spaghetti sauces.
Wow, now I need a glass of wine. Didn't know you would get riled up but that's the way it is on this side of the ocean. I for one, will continue to use wine and I'm sure so will several others who have responded to wine questions in their spaghetti sauce in the past. And isn't the term "bloody" a British term?

As a full blooded Italian, both parents having been born just outside of Milan, and used wine in their sauce, I am insulted. I'm taking my wine, my pasta sauce and my appetite and going home.
Bon Appetito!!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I am glad to hear that your tomatoes are good,however I use my own tomato sauce and trust me,it is really tasty,the right market as you mention,sell canned tomatoes of course but my homemade sauce is really special,trust me.
I suppose you are not trying to be offensive,I wouldn't care anyway...
I also assert that adding whine in a spaghetti sauce is really disgusting,neither Italian chef,nor common people would eat this,trust me.

I prefer my homemade sauce too. Which I sometimes make with good quality canned tomatoes. Like others have said, canned tomatoes are often better than fresh ones here.

And, believe it or not, adding wine to tomato sauce is a very traditional Italian technique. It's far from disgusting. It adds taste, but, more importantly, the alcohol releases additional flavor components in the tomatoes than are neither water or oil soluable.

Chefs and home cooks all over Italy and all over the world routinely add wine (usually red) to their tomato-based sauces. It makes a better sauce. Plain and simple.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #43
Senior Cook

My family has different recipes,my father is from Naples ,he perfectly cooks and I can assure no one in Naples adds wine in pasta sauce,believe it or not.
I am not vexed at all,however I perceive that you prefer your own recipes,never mind .. I keep on cooking my family recipies that are really tasty.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #44
Master Chef

I guarantee you that plenty of people in Naples add wine to their sauce.

But it's fine if you don't want to.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I guarantee you that plenty of people in Naples add wine to their sauce.

But it's fine if you don't want to.
Ok no problem at all..
Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
while I am not an authentic italian, I live in Rome for more than 5 and half years. I use red wine in many of my tomato based pasta sauce and I received no protests whatsoever. and it does give a nice depth to the flavour. In many traditional recipes (although there are endless variety) white wine is used for Bolognese sauce.

About tomatoes, yes, it IS ideal to use a ripe fresh tomatoes in season, but during the winter months they are not of the same quality, much poorer in flavour and texture even they cost 3 times as much than in season. So I do tend to find more reasonable to use tinned ones when tomatoes are out of season.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #47
Head Chef

I saw a show on the food channel once, where instead of boiling the pasta in water, he boiled it in red wine. I dont remember what sauce he put on it afterwards, but sure seems like a lot of wine to use ..
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #48
Sous Chef

I have mentioned in another post. I DO use red wine in my tomato sauce. I use RED
Taylor Port. Aria
Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #49
Head Chef

I usually put a half glass of whatever red wine I have in the liquer cupboard. And you all know what happend to the other half!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I do not put wine in my sauce (my family calls it "gravy") but am not opposed to trying it, why not, right? I certainly DO drink it while cooking though - next time I'll try a splash -

Tags
None