Red Wine in Spaghetti/tomato Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not, not passionate, that is, I can go either way, with or without wine, and for sure nothing Italian that I cook can be called Real Italian. I cook kosher, so it is maybe an Italian style at best.

I believe its true that traditional Italian red-sauces do not use wine. I do not believe my older first and second generation relatives used wine in cooking much if at all.... they made their own wine too.

My mom uses it liberally though (and so do I it helps justify the drinking while cooking) and it certainly has not hurt her sauces...... I think its all Julia Child and Jacques Pépin's fault.... even though they cook(ed) french they made the bottle on the counter requisite.... I am curious to hear from an Italian cooking expert on the issue although it wont stop me from using it.

On the canned/fresh tomatoes issue well fresh quality tomatoes would be great if you could get them/had the time but this is not always possible.

I believe its true that traditional Italian red-sauces do not use wine. I do not believe my older first and second generation relatives used wine in cooking much if at all.... they made their own wine too.

On the canned/fresh tomatoes issue well fresh quality tomatoes would be great if you could get them/had the time but this is not always possible.

I totally agree with you!
I remember my grandmother adding basil leaves,sausages or a big slice of beef in a tomato sauce but wine never.
My parents in Naples still use to make their own wine and it's fantastic!!!

Back
Top Bottom