Reducing a cream sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though cream has a less chance of curdling (lower protein content that causes curdling and a higher fat content) I wouldn't take any chances so I would just let it simmer until you get the consistency you want to achieve.

Lets see what everyone else says.

And watch the pot! Even at a simmer, once it hits a certain temp, you can have one heck of a boilover - the voice of experience speaking here!:rolleyes:

Heavy cream is the best to use for a sauce that calls for reduction. As aid earlier the high fat content prevents curdling.

I have never had a problem reducing at a full boil.

marmalady said:
And watch the pot! Even at a simmer, once it hits a certain temp, you can have one heck of a boilover - the voice of experience speaking here!:rolleyes:

Oh my. Been there done that.

IMO when ever you cook, you should start on high and then turn down. Reason, it will take longer to heat up whatever you are using/cooking by starting on low or medium. You should bring it up the turn it down.

ch3f said:
IMO when ever you cook, you should start on high and then turn down. Reason, it will take longer to heat up whatever you are using/cooking by starting on low or medium. You should bring it up the turn it down.

I concur. Also, be mindful of the temperature because it's not just curdling and boiling over that you need to worry about, but also burning.

Back
Top Bottom