Ron's Alfredo Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nytxn

Senior Cook
Ron's home made Alfredo sauce...

This one is not for the low-calorie, low-fat, low-carb dieters out there... but it sho'nuff is a good'n... and very easy.

Basic list of ingredients:

You'll need a medium saucepan

One stick of lightly salted, sweat cream butter (yes... an entire stick, and don't use margarine or any other imitation spread as it won't come out right)

One pint of Heavy Cream (not milk, and especially not Skim Milk!)

One 12-16 oz package of cream cheese.

2-3 average sized cloves of crushed garlic (you can roast the garlic beforehand if you prefer - it adds a good flavor) I love garlic...

Dried Italian seasoning

Italian cheese blend (Romano, Parmesan, asiago, or any combination of the three - or just one of the three). The amount is based on your preference.

Salt and pepper to taste

Start out by melting the entire stick of butter in the saucepan. Keep it on low. Crush the garlic (the absolute best garlic press ever - Zyliss <~ click there) into the melted butter and bring the heat up a little to turn the garlic slightly golden.

Cut the cream cheese into smaller pieces and drop them in the butter. Let them sit for a couple minutes to begin to dissolve (it'll be awhile before the completely dissolve), and then stir... until the cream cheese is mostly dissolved.

After the cream cheese is mostly dissolved, the butter will thicken to look like yellowish cream. That's the time to add the pint of heavy cream. Slowly pour it in as you stir the mixture and keep it on low.

Add your herbs (Italian seasoning)

After the sauce heats up and begins to steam a little, add the Italian cheese mixture. Be careful to stir it frequently after you do this because the cheese will tend to settle to the bottom and burn a little. When you stir, be sure to force the spoon along the bottom slightly to keep the cheese from settling too long.

Keep it on low for about 5 minutes to let the cheese dissolve into the sauce.

Salt and pepper to taste now, as any salt in the cheese will have been mixed in already. Salting too early can be a mistake depending on the salt level of the cheese.

It's almost done.

Keep it on low like this, for about 10 minutes. It will thicken slightly. You don't want it too thick.

If you let it go longer, it will thicken up a lot. If it gets to that point, you can always cut it with some half-and-half to thin it out slightly, and if you don't have any half-and-half, you can use milk as a last resort (no non-dairy creamers!
biggrin.gif
and definitely no water... ).

This is great on tortelloni, tortellini, fettuccine (I like both spinach and regular fettuccine - mixed - with this), or any broad noodle pasta. Linguine and other types of spaghetti, IMO, are better with red sauces.

Last edited:
Just realized there's a Sauce section.

My apologies.

Can a moderator or admin please move this to that section?

New York, Texan? Is that what your user name means?

Wow ,if so, how do you like it down here, I'm sure it's alot different. How long have you been here?
Sorry, I'm very inquisitive:LOL:
The sauce sounds good!!

nytxn said:
Just realized there's a Sauce section.

My apologies.

Can a moderator or admin please move this to that section?
Consider it done Ron, and welcome to the board :)

Thanks, GB!

I like it here at the forum so far. I love to cook.

Texas Girl,
I've been here since '98 (August).

Since I've met my wife, I love it here even more! ;)

It was a little bit of Culture Shock at first, but I grew it in a semi-rural area of NY so it wasn't that big of a change.

I got tired of hearin' "Git a rope!" after about the first week though. ;)

Back
Top Bottom