Roux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We all know how to make a roux, and cook it to the proper color. But it can be time consuming. So I have a question. Has anyone made a large batch of roux, and canned it to make it shelf stable? And if so, I would think it would have to be done in a pressure canner, so as to make it safe, as there is virtually no acid in a roux.

Just looking for info here.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I make it fresh each time I need it.

I think it would be easier to store it in the refrigerator or freeze it in small quantities.

I make a largish batch and just refrigerate it. It stays good for months. It's a bit hard when it's cold, but it works.

I used to freeze dollops of roux on waxed paper and then put them in a container. I just can't be bothered any more, since I read Julia Child's suggestion of refrigerating for months.

I'm sure freezing would work out the best. I make batches of Espagnole sauce and put it in an 8x8 baking dish. Once frozen I turn the batch out on a cutting board and cut into 9 (brownie size) squares that I can take out of the freezer and use when needed.

Has anyone tried to make a roux by first baking the flour in the oven to brown it?
I see where you're going with this. Many years ago when I was on a low-fat kick, I would make roux by carefully browning the flour on the stove top in a cast iron skillet and then whisking chicken stock into it. While it didn't have the richness of oil-based roux, the browning technique itself worked relatively well.

I think you could easily just brown the flour and store it to make an "instant roux", to which you would later add your oil to.

I see where you're going with this. Many years ago when I was on a low-fat kick, I would make roux by carefully browning the flour on the stove top in a cast iron skillet and then whisking chicken stock into it. While it didn't have the richness of oil-based roux, the browning technique itself worked relatively well.

I think you could easily just brown the flour and store it to make an "instant roux", to which you would later add your oil to.

I had read of this alternative somewhere. It was presented as an 'easier' method as there is no need for long stirring over low heat and the risk of burning the roux. I've never done it. I'm wondering if there would be a difference in taste or performance as a thickener.

Has anyone tried to make a roux by first baking the flour in the oven to brown it?

I have done that. It works.

Line a pan with foil. Bake in the oven when you start to get a little color mix, bake some more, mix and bake a bit more until you see some color all over.

Add flour to cold liquid, no fat needed and heat. Keep string until it comes to a boil.

Last edited:
As long as you have a good arm/wrist for wisking, Paul Prudhomme has a high heat technique for making a quick roux. I've used it to make a red/brown roux in about 15-20 minutes.

I have done that. It works.

Line a pan with foil. Bake in the oven when you start to get a little color mix, bake some more, mix and bake a bit more until you see some color all over.

Add flour to cold liquid, no fat needed and heat. Keep string until it comes to a boil.

A roux is fat plus flour so if you mix flour (toasted or not) with a cold liquid rather than a fat, you're making a slurry, not a roux.

A roux is fat plus flour so if you mix flour (toasted or not) with a cold liquid rather than a fat, you're making a slurry, not a roux.

The pre-browned flour also works really good with fat.

As to it not being a roux... it thickens the liquid and taste good who cares what it is called?

I've never bothered making a dark roux, only ever made blonde roux. Is it worth the effort?

Definitely worth the effort. Shrek smells it cooking and he shows up with a spoon...it smells fantastic and adds another depth of flavor to stews and gumbos.

The pre-browned flour also works really good with fat.

As to it not being a roux... it thickens the liquid and taste good who cares what it is called?

That's a pretty big difference in my mind. If you were making a gumbo recipe that called for a roux, would you make it with fat or water?

Definitely worth the effort. Shrek smells it cooking and he shows up with a spoon...it smells fantastic and adds another depth of flavor to stews and gumbos.

I don't know why I keep thinking "Poor Shrek". He has a wife that loves him and cooks great meals for him.

My second husband loved to sit in the kitchen and just watch me cook. Said I looked like a real wife and mother. I guess that was a compliment. :angel:

That's a pretty big difference in my mind. If you were making a gumbo recipe that called for a roux, would you make it with fat or water?

When I make a gumbo I go all out and brown the fat in oil.

But to keep the daily calorie and fat content down using water in the gravy works.

Browning a bunch of flour ahead of time and using it when needed is a big time saver. It is up to the person doing the cooking if they want to use fat or just water.

Back
Top Bottom