Salsa Verde

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
Looking for a recipe for Salsa Verde that isn't too spicy with home grown tomatillos and green tomatoes.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE03_HomeCan_rev0715.pdf
Page 3-22 tomatillos, use green sweet bell peppers instead of hot ones, use the same amount of them as called for by hot peppers in the recipe.

https://www.healthycanning.com/green-tomato-salsa/
I used this one and it is great. I made lots of it, substituting the same amount of green bell peppers in it for the hot peppers.

You may substitute green tomatoes or tomatillos for tomatoes in any of these recipes.
in this pdf:

https://extension.usu.edu/sevier/files-ou/SalsaRecipesforCanning.pdf

I don't use a recipe, but these are the ingredients I use:
Poblanos
Tomatillos (which are not tomatoes, but are in the gooseberry family)
Sweet onion
Garlic Cloves with skin on
Dried Mexican oregano or fresh epazote
Freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds
Salt and Pepper
Water or vegetable broth as needed

The vegetables get charred either on my charcoal grill or under the broiler. The skin and seeds are removed from the poblanos. The garlic is squeezed out of the skin. The vege gets pulsed in a blender until you have the consistency you like. While it is getting pulsed, I add cumin and oregano/epazote to taste. when finished I adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and cumin. The heat level of the poblano determines the salsas heat level. If it is too mild, add some jalapeno, serrano or habanero to taste. You may need to add water or broth if it is too thick.

I will use this as the base for green chili stew as is. If I want a Mexican style salsa, I'll heat a 1/4 cup Spanish olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering, then add the green sauce. You have to be very careful as the mixture will spatter when added to the oil. Some folks will add a corn starch slurry to thicken, but I never have. I'll use this salsa for chicken enchiladas or in a combo with red sauce on a burrito. The combo of both sauces is called "Christmas".

Craig. Garlic with the skin left on? Please explain.

He chars the garlic on the grill. Kind of like if you baked it in the oven. You leave the skin on to protect the insides. He does just the individual cloves with skin on because it doesn't cook long enough to thoroughly cook a whole head.

Last edited:
I think the skin is left on for roasting. Then the skin is removed.

Couple of things. Once your chilies are roasted, put them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or a plate for 20 minutes or so. This steams the Chiles and loosens the skin. It should come easily.

Poblano Chile’s work well, but I prefer to use Anaheim chilies (aka California chilies or . Not as dark and I like the taste.

If you feel bold, use both. You can make some really nice Chile sauces by mixing the chilies.

As to the tomatillos, always use fresh if you can get them. The canned one can have a off taste.

Mark

I make a killer salsa verde, but it doesn't include tomatillos or green tomatoes. It's made with Hatch chiles, and it is one delicious salsa, even if I do say so my own damn self!

Hatch Chile Salsa​
Ingredients:

• 2 Tbs light olive oil
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbs cornstarch
  • 4 Tbs water
  • ¼ tsp cumin
  • ¼ tsp black pepper
  • 1½ cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup Hatch chiles, roasted, peeled and chopped
  • ¼ tsp dried oregano
  • ½ tsp salt

Instructions:

In a medium saucepan, heat the light olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until the onions are translucent, but not browned. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 to 45 seconds more, just until fragrant.

Mix the cornstarch and water together. Slowly pour in the broth, then add the cornstarch and water, whisking constantly so that is stays smooth.
Add all the remaining ingredients to the onion and broth mixture and bring it to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should be thickened just enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add more broth to thin it out if it is too thick. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

See video

Looks good SLOB, but I like the tartness of tomatillos in my green sauce (Mexican).;)

Hatch chilies are good. Like a Anaheim and jalapeño combined. Problem for me is I cannot find fresh ones in norther California. I think they are pretty unique to New Mexico.

Hatch chilies are good. Like a Anaheim and jalapeño combined. Problem for me is I cannot find fresh ones in norther California. I think they are pretty unique to New Mexico.

You can order them during season, which I did last year. This year a local grocery had them. Think I was the only one to buy them. They had hot and mild @ $1.29 per pound the first time I bought some and .49 per pound the following week. I was a busy chili roaster then.:ROFLMAO:

Two years ago I saw them in Oxnard at Whole Foods for $1.99 a pound. A couple of days later I saw them in Vons (Safeway) for 99¢ a pound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom