Sauce with ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marajo

Cook
Any of you have a sauce you serve with ham? Not a gravy. I remember some years ago I attended a dinner and there was this lovely sauce w/ strawberries(frozen and thawed)and maybe a touch of curry? It was lovely. obviously had some corn starch.

I think my mom cooks her hams with some mustard and brown sugar mix she makes. Maybe that's normal. I don't know.
I'll find out for you later today.

here`s a TNT recipe of my own, finely diced onion in a pan then add the Juice of a tin of pineapple to this along with a pinch of white pepper and salt (to taste), you`ll need some Xanthan gum (easy found in the super market as a Gluten replacement) this will act as your thickener, when done just right it will have the consistancy of gravy but be almost perfectly clear (unlike using wheat flour or corn starch as a thickener).
feel free to add Mustard Powder to this or Ham stock from the meat in place of some pepper or salt.
the idea is a nice clear well tasting gravy.

Gosh, being a Southern girl :)rofl: hey, cut me some slack) we just use Red Eye Gravy but y'all's suggestions sound super!

I've never served ham with gravy. We eat ham year round. It is very interesting to see how people eat it once ham is on their plate. I am talking about sliced ham. They pile mashed potatoes on it, beans and rice, wrap it in a biscuit or dinner role, cut a bite and dip it in sauce, skewer it on a fork with a green bean and potato...etc. Ham mingles with everything on your plate. I really like ham and jam sandwiches.

Ham sauce

Thanks. I notice you are from Cherryvale. Are you in the cherry business?

Good dry cured ham and red eye gravy....makes me cry it's so good!
Smoked ham gravy...not to familar with that...Although some of the ideas hear do sound good.
When we have ham I almost always finish off the meal with a couple of thick slices between a roll/biscuit..The more it hangs outside the roll/biscuit the better!!:LOL:

StirBlue said:
I really like ham and jam sandwiches.

Whoa! I'll have to tell my mother about that! While my aunt and I are eating bacon and ketchup sandwiches on rye toast, Mom substitutes jam for ketchup.

Might try a ham 'n jam sandwich myself! Hmm, a little open-faced ham and jam on toasted baguette or party rye might be a nice appetizer, too!

Thanks, StirBlue!

Lee

What we have always used on our hams - 1/2 maple syrup and 1/2 orange juice. Just baste with this as it bakes. (if you add mac & cheese to the mix, this juice is wonderful drizzled over!!)

I found it. Actually, I just found the ingredients but that will work. I don't remember if the ham was basted w/ this or not but I do know a bowl of this was on the table to drizzle over your piece of ham.Strawberry Sauce
1 tsp karo
¼ c sugar
1 Tb corn starch
¼ tsp curry powder
12 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
1 T grated orange rind
1 c sliced unsweetened frozen strawberries (thawed)
Mix sugar w/ corn starch. Add juice and stir over med heat til thick. That is all I got so you have to improvise with the process. Merry Christmas!

Ham and Jam Sandwiches....what a great idea!

I'm thinking of all kinds of jam to eat with my hams. :pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom