Sauces for your Christmas Roast Beast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
JACK DANIELS HUNTER SAUCE

6 servings

3 ½ T butter
1 ½ T flour
2 garlic cloves minced
6 mushrooms qrted.
2 plum tomatoes
2 cups beef stock
¼ cup Jack Daniels
12 pearl onions, peeled, simmered til tender

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 1 ½ T butter; whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute; set aside. In a large skillet, cook onions and garlic in remaining butter over moderate heat til golden. Add mushrooms and cook til all liquid is evaporated. Add tomatoes and stock and simmer til reduced by 1/3. Add Jack Daniels and simmer 5 minutes. Whisk in flour mixture, bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes. Transfer steaks to prepared grill and grill 2-3 minutes on each side for medium rare.

CABERNET JUS

8 servings

2 bottles cabernet
4cups beef stock
2 cups ruby Port
3 large garlics
1 large shallot
2 bay leaves
3tsp. dry thyme
4 large garlic cloves, smashed

Combine cabernet, stock, Port, 3 peeled garlic cloves, shallot, bay leaves, and 1 tsp. thyme in large saucepan; boil til reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. Strain.
Pour off all fat from roasting pan; place pan oer medium high heat; add cabernet mixture to pan and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season with salt/pepper and add in any juices from the standing roast.

BEAUJOLAIS JUS
2 tsp.fresh thyme
1tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 bottle Beaujolais
½ cup dried porcinis
14oz. beef broth
2 cloves garlic
1T water
2tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. olive oil.

Combine 2 tsp. thyme, mushrooms, wine, broth and garlic in large saucepan and bring to boil; reduce heat, simmer til reduced to 1 ½ cups - about 1 hour. Combine water and cornstarch, and stir into wine mixture. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute; remove and set aside, keeping warm.

Oh looks good, just wondering if you can substitute 1 bottle Beaujolais with something like dark rum or cardodian spiced peach sauce and if it would be good, considering the Beaujolais has a nutty/fruity taste when burned down.

Well - sure you could - but I think I'd maybe just use a cup or so of rum - think of the strength of rum versus wine - and increase the beef broth. Same with the spiced peach liqueur.

Here's a recipe for a Caribbean Orange/Rum sauce I use with jerked chicken/fish - note the quantity of rum versus the orange juice -

CARIBBEAN ORANGE AND DARK RUM SAUCE

makes about 2 cups

1T olive oil
1 minced shallot
2oz.dark rum
2cups orange juice
1tsp. molasses
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. soy sauce
¼ habenero chile minced
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. worchestershire
¼ tsp. allspice
cracked black pepper

In a 2 quart pan, heat olive oil, add shallot and cook for 1 minute; remove the pan from the heat; add the rum, and carefully return the pan to the flame; the rum will ignite; when the flame extinguishes, add the orange juice, molasses and habenero, bring to a simmer, and whisk in the cornstarch and soy sauce mixture to thicken. Season with salt, allspice, pepper, and worchestershire.
Serve as a dipping sauce with spicy foods like jerk; also makes a good glaze for grilled chicken or fish.

Hmm, the alcohol content doesnt usually make a differance as it all burns off, but then again there is a considerable differance when cooking with wine and rum, only experimenting would awnser this question.

I wasn't referring to the alcohol content between wine and rum, but the flavor - wine is a subtle, 'back of the tongue' taste, whereas rum, even a little, is a 'wow'! right in your face flavor. I think that subbing out rum in equal amounts for the wine would overpower the rest of the sauce. Same goes goes for other 'hard' alcohols, like whiskey or bourbon.

Back
Top Bottom