"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #31
Sous Chef

I use the sprinkle flour over the cooked crumbled sausage method and don't get flour-gummy bits in my gravy. Maybe if the ratio isn't right that might happen, but so far so good. It almost seems as if the flour disappears as it joins the sausage bits waiting for the milk. What ever is happening, it all gets gobbled up.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You know what else is good, Bea? A couple SSU eggs on top of the sausage gravy & biscuits. Or make a thin layer of eggs and line a bowl with it, then put in the gravy & biscuits. I like re-creating that sausage skillet thing Bob Evans used to have.
That does sound good!

I've had it with a hash brown patty, a poached egg and sausage gravy.

The diner called the sausage gravy Hillbilly Hollandaise!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Hillbilly Hollandaise. I like that!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Do you have a quick and easy recipe Jessica? I usually stop when I see "cut in the flour...". I'm not afraid to cut shortening into flour, it's just that my poor old fingers think they get enough with pies and scones. However, a really good recipe could entice them to make biscuits.
You do know you can cut butter or shortening into flour with a food processor, don't you?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
Master Chef

My sausage and gravy recipe is the same as the Bob Evans link. I need the Bob Evans sausage to make it too. I've tried other sausage but it just doesn't taste the same. I grew up in Ohio and Bob Evans was the best place to eat. I even worked at one for a little over a year during college. It was tough when we moved to Virginia and there was no Bob Evans sausage! I'd buy a bunch and freeze it to bring it down here every time we went home to Ohio. I rarely have to add any salt and pepper since the sausage is so flavorful. I think one of the tricks with the sprinkling flour on the cooked sausage is to then "cook" the flour. I've never had a problem with lumps or pasty flavor when I cook the flour kind of like a roux.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
...I grew up in Ohio and Bob Evans was the best place to eat. I even worked at one for a little over a year during college. It was tough when we moved to Virginia and there was no Bob Evans sausage! I'd buy a bunch and freeze it to bring it down here every time we went home to Ohio. I rarely have to add any salt and pepper since the sausage is so flavorful...
I'll second this. And I'll happily have seconds on the BE sausage gravy! So far I'm remembering that there is one in Winchester VA, and one in Jacksonville, FL, and....
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You do know you can cut butter or shortening into flour with a food processor, don't you?
I know that, but I don't do it. I rarely use the food processor since it's in the basement. By the time I go down, move other stuff out of the way, come back up, unpack it, set it up...I can have the shortening cut in! And were I to send Himself down for it? It would take even longer to explain - and easier to draw a map.

I swear our next home will have a huge kitchen with an abundance of counter space. This one? Meh. I miss my old house with its landscape of counter surface. *sigh*

Tags
sage, sausage