Sausage & Gravy Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Anyone, have a sausage gravy recipe they would like to share. I've never cooked it homemade, normally I buy the McCormick Country Gravy packets but would definitely LOVE to try making this at home.

Thanks in advance for your recipes/advice. :chef:

What, no sausage and biscuits in Georgia Jessica? I would think they'd be on menus in about the same spot as grits. I'll happily eat either/or!

Lived in a city with a Bob Evans back in OH. None near us now. Every time we travel anywhere near a Bob Evans, Himself knows we need to stop at least once. Hmm, looking forward to our trip to FL next month even more now...:yum:

Anyway, I digress. Have not tried this recipe yet, but since it comes right from the Bob Evans website I image in HAS to be yummy! If you make your own homemade biscuits I bet it's even better.

Bob Evans - Recipe - Sausage Gravy

My sauasage gravy recipe is pretty simple.
Brown the sausage, sprinkle some flour on top (approx 1-1/2TB) and mix into the sausage, pour milk in until it's slightly above the sausage and let things simmer until thick. Add pepper.

Here you go. Traditional recipe starting with a bechamel sauce. We make this at least twice a month.

Sausage Gravy

INGREDIENTS
1 pound breakfast sausage
3 tablespoons shortening (veg oil, butter, drippings)
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
3 1/2 cups milk
salt to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula.
2. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Heat oil In a large saucepan.
4. Add flour, stirring until blended and continue to cook for 1 minute.
5. Gradually add milk; continue stirring and cooking over medium until thickened and bubbly.
6. Add the crumbled sausage.
7. Taste and add salt and pepper.
8. Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits.

What, no sausage and biscuits in Georgia Jessica? I would think they'd be on menus in about the same spot as grits. I'll happily eat either/or!

Lived in a city with a Bob Evans back in OH. None near us now. Every time we travel anywhere near a Bob Evans, Himself knows we need to stop at least once. Hmm, looking forward to our trip to FL next month even more now...:yum:

Anyway, I digress. Have not tried this recipe yet, but since it comes right from the Bob Evans website I image in HAS to be yummy! If you make your own homemade biscuits I bet it's even better.

Bob Evans - Recipe - Sausage Gravy

We've got places that make biscuits and gravy in Georgia. Although, I've never really tried them anywhere other than the fast food chain Hardee's. I've tried Pioneer Woman's Sausage & Gravy Biscuits but didn't care to much for that one. It tasted plain & didn't have much flavor unfortunately! I'm sure this recipe will taste AMAZING. I've heard some pretty awesome stuff about Bob Evans Restaurant..

I'm sure you are looking forward to your trip to Florida ;) We visited Florida last month for our wedding (September 28) the weather was absolutely AMAZING while we were there.

My sauasage gravy recipe is pretty simple.
Brown the sausage, sprinkle some flour on top (approx 1-1/2TB) and mix into the sausage, pour milk in until it's slightly above the sausage and let things simmer until thick. Add pepper.

Thanks Pac, that sounds easy enough definitely will be trying your recipe out :yum: Can't wait ...

Here you go. Traditional recipe starting with a bechamel sauce. We make this at least twice a month.

Sausage Gravy

INGREDIENTS
1 pound breakfast sausage
3 tablespoons shortening (veg oil, butter, drippings)
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
3 1/2 cups milk
salt to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula.
2. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Heat oil In a large saucepan.
4. Add flour, stirring until blended and continue to cook for 1 minute.
5. Gradually add milk; continue stirring and cooking over medium until thickened and bubbly.
6. Add the crumbled sausage.
7. Taste and add salt and pepper.
8. Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits.

That sounds DEVINE! I can't wait to cook Sausage and Gravy Biscuits this weekend :mrgreen:. My mother taught me very young to cook homemade biscuits. When I lived with my parents we would eat biscuits for breakfast, lunch and dinner. People thought we were crazy for eating biscuits that many times but I thought we were in Heaven :angel:

Jessica - from a fellow Georgian - I too love the Sausage Gravy. My key is HOT sausage. If you can find a local meat shop that grinds it fresh go for that. ATK did a test and sausage degrades very fast and the fat takes on some bad tastes the longer it sit in the tubes or grocery. I use Pac's method. You can play with the Fat to flour ratio. I use approximately 1 T flour - 1 T Fat and 1 cup milk. I use plain flour. I like to get a little brown to my Roux before I add the milk (but to each his own). Also I warm my milk first. Seem to get less lumps that way.

.40, have you ever tried leaving the sausage in the skillet?
I'm just wondering what is to be gained removing it to make your white sauce. I try to use as few plates and such as possible though. That means if I don't have to reserve something, I don't, lol.

By starting in a clean sauce pan I've found that the resulting gravy is much smoother. My mom did the flour sprinkle on the meat thing but there were often flour-gummy sausage bits in the gravy....yuck.

Also, since I tend toward the analytical right-brain side of life, I like to precisely control the ratio of flour/fat. Mostly it's just me being me.

ahhh, I'm just the opposite.
Whenever I can add flour to something already cooking in the pan I do it. Be it onions, mushrooms, (sausage) or whatever I am making into a gravy. I tend to get lumps and have a harder time breaking it down when I am making a smooth gravy. Not as bad as I used to be, but it usually means breaking out the whisk.

"but it usually means breaking out the whisk." Sometimes I feel I have been beaten on this site more than anywhere else on the interweb. :angel:
I cook the sausage breaking it up as it cooks, along with a little chopped onion. Remove the sausage. Tilt pan and eye gauge about how much fat is in the pan. Add a pat of butter if it isn't at least 2 Tbs. Add in a couple Tbs flour . Allow the flour to cook a minute or two in the drippings. Slowly pour about 2 cups milk. Stir stir stir until thick. Add back the sausage. Finish with a good grind of black pepper. Have the best biscuit recipe you have, I like plain baking powder biscuits from an old BHG cookbook, which is biscuits we grew up eating. You can add a pinch of crumbled sage or a pinch of pizza pepper flakes to the sausage while it cooks, f you like.

Last edited:
I like sausage and gravy. But I find most southern cooks get carried away with the pepper to the point that it is all you can taste. The first word in that dish is "sausage" not pepper. In fact the word 'pepper' isn't even mentioned in the title of the dish. According to the way southerners make the dish, it should be called "Pepper and Gravy with sausage." :angel:

Oh, Addie--I was just going to say that you need plenty of pepper in the gravy!! :)

I use the same method as Pacanis--easy and only one pan.

If I am cooking for a crowd, I make my own biscuits, but if it is just me and mama, I buy frozen biscuits--frozen raw, so you bake them yourself. There are several brands, and the store brands seem to be just as good as the national brands.
Better than whomp biscuits, and you can make just the amount you need.

I like sausage and gravy. But I find most southern cooks get carried away with the pepper to the point that it is all you can taste. The first word in that dish is "sausage" not pepper. In fact the word 'pepper' isn't even mentioned in the title of the dish. According to the way southerners make the dish, it should be called "Pepper and Gravy with sausage." :angel:

We put pepper on just about everything around here. You should try it on a slice of cantaloupe sometime....wonderful.

We like it spicy! But out of curiosity, have you tasted the sausage and biscuits of "most southern cooks"? ;)

I ♥ Sausage & Biscuit Gravy with Pepper too. Guess it's just a southerners nature to put pepper on everything. It's one of the staples down south just like Grits I suppose :)

I've tried pepper on Cantaloupe too it's actually really good!!!

Same way as pacanis. I sprinkle a little flour on crumbled and browned bulk sausage, let it cook a bit to mellow the floury taste, add milk a little at a time and whisk. More milk till it's the desired consistency. And lots of fresh cracked black pepper! :yum:

Now I'm craving biscuits and sausage...:ohmy::)

.... My mother taught me very young to cook homemade biscuits....
Do you have a quick and easy recipe Jessica? I usually stop when I see "cut in the flour...". I'm not afraid to cut shortening into flour, it's just that my poor old fingers think they get enough with pies and scones. However, a really good recipe could entice them to make biscuits. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom