"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Sausage & Gravy Biscuits

Anyone, have a sausage gravy recipe they would like to share. I've never cooked it homemade, normally I buy the McCormick Country Gravy packets but would definitely LOVE to try making this at home.

Thanks in advance for your recipes/advice.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Master Chef

What, no sausage and biscuits in Georgia Jessica? I would think they'd be on menus in about the same spot as grits. I'll happily eat either/or!

Lived in a city with a Bob Evans back in OH. None near us now. Every time we travel anywhere near a Bob Evans, Himself knows we need to stop at least once. Hmm, looking forward to our trip to FL next month even more now...

Anyway, I digress. Have not tried this recipe yet, but since it comes right from the Bob Evans website I image in HAS to be yummy! If you make your own homemade biscuits I bet it's even better.

Bob Evans - Recipe - Sausage Gravy

Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

My sauasage gravy recipe is pretty simple.
Brown the sausage, sprinkle some flour on top (approx 1-1/2TB) and mix into the sausage, pour milk in until it's slightly above the sausage and let things simmer until thick. Add pepper.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Here you go. Traditional recipe starting with a bechamel sauce. We make this at least twice a month.

Sausage Gravy

INGREDIENTS
1 pound breakfast sausage
3 tablespoons shortening (veg oil, butter, drippings)
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
3 1/2 cups milk
salt to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula.
2. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Heat oil In a large saucepan.
4. Add flour, stirring until blended and continue to cook for 1 minute.
5. Gradually add milk; continue stirring and cooking over medium until thickened and bubbly.
6. Add the crumbled sausage.
7. Taste and add salt and pepper.
8. Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What, no sausage and biscuits in Georgia Jessica? I would think they'd be on menus in about the same spot as grits. I'll happily eat either/or!

Lived in a city with a Bob Evans back in OH. None near us now. Every time we travel anywhere near a Bob Evans, Himself knows we need to stop at least once. Hmm, looking forward to our trip to FL next month even more now...

Anyway, I digress. Have not tried this recipe yet, but since it comes right from the Bob Evans website I image in HAS to be yummy! If you make your own homemade biscuits I bet it's even better.

Bob Evans - Recipe - Sausage Gravy
We've got places that make biscuits and gravy in Georgia. Although, I've never really tried them anywhere other than the fast food chain Hardee's. I've tried Pioneer Woman's Sausage & Gravy Biscuits but didn't care to much for that one. It tasted plain & didn't have much flavor unfortunately! I'm sure this recipe will taste AMAZING. I've heard some pretty awesome stuff about Bob Evans Restaurant..

I'm sure you are looking forward to your trip to Florida We visited Florida last month for our wedding (September 28) the weather was absolutely AMAZING while we were there.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My sauasage gravy recipe is pretty simple.
Brown the sausage, sprinkle some flour on top (approx 1-1/2TB) and mix into the sausage, pour milk in until it's slightly above the sausage and let things simmer until thick. Add pepper.
Thanks Pac, that sounds easy enough definitely will be trying your recipe out Can't wait ...
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Here you go. Traditional recipe starting with a bechamel sauce. We make this at least twice a month.

Sausage Gravy

INGREDIENTS
1 pound breakfast sausage
3 tablespoons shortening (veg oil, butter, drippings)
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
3 1/2 cups milk
salt to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula.
2. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Heat oil In a large saucepan.
4. Add flour, stirring until blended and continue to cook for 1 minute.
5. Gradually add milk; continue stirring and cooking over medium until thickened and bubbly.
6. Add the crumbled sausage.
7. Taste and add salt and pepper.
8. Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits.
That sounds DEVINE! I can't wait to cook Sausage and Gravy Biscuits this weekend . My mother taught me very young to cook homemade biscuits. When I lived with my parents we would eat biscuits for breakfast, lunch and dinner. People thought we were crazy for eating biscuits that many times but I thought we were in Heaven
Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Jessica - from a fellow Georgian - I too love the Sausage Gravy. My key is HOT sausage. If you can find a local meat shop that grinds it fresh go for that. ATK did a test and sausage degrades very fast and the fat takes on some bad tastes the longer it sit in the tubes or grocery. I use Pac's method. You can play with the Fat to flour ratio. I use approximately 1 T flour - 1 T Fat and 1 cup milk. I use plain flour. I like to get a little brown to my Roux before I add the milk (but to each his own). Also I warm my milk first. Seem to get less lumps that way.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

.40, have you ever tried leaving the sausage in the skillet?
I'm just wondering what is to be gained removing it to make your white sauce. I try to use as few plates and such as possible though. That means if I don't have to reserve something, I don't, lol.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Admiral of the Texas Navy

By starting in a clean sauce pan I've found that the resulting gravy is much smoother. My mom did the flour sprinkle on the meat thing but there were often flour-gummy sausage bits in the gravy....yuck.

Also, since I tend toward the analytical right-brain side of life, I like to precisely control the ratio of flour/fat. Mostly it's just me being me.

Tags
sage, sausage