Sausage gravy - straight up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
I have always shied away from "white gravy"... it is just not something we ate in my Italian American family... "gravy" is red! I saw a lot of lumpy muck in the college cafeteria (they used it for "alfredo" too ick) but never could bring myself to eat the stuff.

But tonight I was fying up some sausages to eat with the leftover Cabbage and Potatos (corned beef is long gone) and I figured why not give it a try so I deglazed the pan made the roux and came out with a very basic (grease, a pat of butter, milk and a bit of flour) sausage gravy TASTY! how did I know know this? All those lovely drippings I have wasted!

Long story short Sausage Gravy = good and easy!

I definitely need to start getting more into pan sauces... It is one area I havent done much.

No... gravy is brown! :LOL: Aren't the cultural differences interesting.

I've never tried that either - I'll give it a go next time.

it's great stuff over veggies as you did, over waffles or a baked spud for an easy supper or great brunch, with toast or biscuits, fancy it up with some sliced mushrooms and onions...bit o hot sauce. yum.

No... gravy is brown! :LOL: Aren't the cultural differences interesting.

I've never tried that either - I'll give it a go next time.

Sausage gravy is definitely white. You can try it but you can't then throw the dreaded phrase "stretch pants" at us! :LOL: :mrgreen:

Pancho - good for you buddy!!!! Either make some homemade biscuits or buy those (forget brand) Southern Style frozen biscuits - they bake up really fluffy and have made many a Grandma roll over in their grave!!!! Nothing better than a biscuit split open smothered in sausage gravy with a sunny side up egg or two sitting right on top! :angel:

I'll agree with Kitchenelf in part. A freshly-baked biscuit, split in half, and smothered in good sausage gravy is truely a thing of beauty.

Personally, though, I prefer my eggs over-hard, and on the side of the B&G, not on top.

Back
Top Bottom