"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Simple butter sauce?

I have pretty much nothing in my kitchen except some seasonings and butter. I could go for spaghetti, but I'd like a butter based sauce to put on it. Does anyone have any recipes? I googled it and one recipe called for butter, flour, paprika, salt & pepper and a few other simple things. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Head Chef

I like to cook the pasta, saving a ladle of the cooking water. Then in a large saute pan (big enough to hold the pasta, too), I'll melt some butter, add garlic, red pepper flakes (or sage, depending on mood), maybe some chopped onions, then add some cooking liquid and the pasta. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I like to cook the pasta, saving a ladle of the cooking water. Then in a large saute pan (big enough to hold the pasta, too), I'll melt some butter, add garlic, red pepper flakes (or sage, depending on mood), maybe some chopped onions, then add some cooking liquid and the pasta. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
This sounds really good! What measurements do you use with these ingredients?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Head Chef

measurements????????? I don't measure unless I am baking. it depends on the freshness of your herbs/spices, amount of pasta, etc. Just try it out. and have fun!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
measurements????????? I don't measure unless I am baking. it depends on the freshness of your herbs/spices, amount of pasta, etc. Just try it out. and have fun!
Okay, I'll try. I usually stick to recipes, I've never cooked anything by eye.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Head Chef

There's no time like the present! Try it out. I read cookbooks for the fun of it, the cook by eye/feel/taste/sound.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
There's no time like the present! Try it out. I read cookbooks for the fun of it, the cook by eye/feel/taste/sound.
Very true. I've got half a box (8 oz) of spaghetti cooking, what measurements would you suggest? I just don't want to over-do anything.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

Maybe a couple of tablespoons butter, 1/2 t. herbs, one garlic clove smashed, teaspoon of diced onion, 2 tablespoons starchy cooking water??? I am just guessing. Maybe someone else can chime in and let us know...

Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Cook

2 tablespoons of butter, one sprig each of whatever herbs you use. One garlic clove minced, or two if you love your garlic 1/4 of a small diced onion (sauteed until soft and translucent. 1/4 teaspoon of chili flake. 1/8 cup of your cooking water. When I am low on ingredients and need to make pasta I usually just heat some olive oil with garlic chili flake and melt an anchovie into the oil as well. a little black pepper and cheese on top and thats a wicked meal!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

buerre noisette, or brown butter- simply throw whole butter into a heated skillet, let it be till the color of a hazelnut, swirl pour at once over cooked spaghetti. great with veggies, especially brocccoli. when you re-stock yoor pantry, you may wanna try this with sea scallops, pasta & broccoli. for now, pasta, beurre noisette, & parsley is a great choice! :)

Tags
None