Simple Homemade Tomato Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
What a simple recipe for a tomato sauce when you're out of fresh herbs and wine??

If you're using fresh tomatoes, I'd core them, then blanch them in boiling water first to loosen the skins. They will then slip off when you pull them. Cut your tomatoes into chunks and remove most of the seeds. Put everything into a saucepan and set over medium-low heat. The tomatoes will begin to give off their water. You don't want to add water if you don't have to, but if there isn't any generated, you'll have to give it a little help.

Simmer the mixture over low-ish heat for about 20-30 minutes.

Another idea: Chop one medium onion and mince two cloves of garlic. Cook the onion in hot oil for 6-7 minutes, to brown a little. Add garlic and stir for about a minute. Add 1 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

If you grow it during the summer, you can preserve fresh basil like this, and add a cube when you add the tomatoes.

If you're using fresh tomatoes, I'd core them, then blanch them in boiling water first to loosen the skins. They will then slip off when you pull them. Cut your tomatoes into chunks and remove most of the seeds. Put everything into a saucepan and set over medium-low heat. The tomatoes will begin to give off their water. You don't want to add water if you don't have to, but if there isn't any generated, you'll have to give it a little help.

Simmer the mixture over low-ish heat for about 20-30 minutes.

I'd do it exactly like this, but I core mine after I blanch. Blanch, slip skin off, quarter, core, squish seeds out.

I like to mince a small amount (maybe 1/2 oz or less) rehydrated porcini mushroom into the sauce, including the soaking water.

I think one of the best bases for an impromptu homemade tomato sauce is to always have several cans of good quality whole Italian plum tomatoes on hand at all times. When fresh tomatoes are out of season or you simply don't want to bother with them, these are a godsend.

And no fresh herbs or wine needed - simply nix the wine, use dried herbs, & follow your favorite recipe as usual.

I'm with Breezy on the good quality canned tomatoes. I use them in the winter and make a sauce like Chef June's. I took an Italian cooking class years ago, and that's how they made it, with a bit of dried rosemary. Nice taste!

I'm with Breezy on the good quality canned tomatoes. I use them in the winter and make a sauce like Chef June's. I took an Italian cooking class years ago, and that's how they made it, with a bit of dried rosemary. Nice taste!

Ditto on the canned tomatoes except for the three or four months of "tomato season!"

And the longer you cook your sauce, the more you get out of those dried herbs! :chef: Remember to rub them between the heels of your hands as you put them into the pan. That releases their natural oils and helps them make the sauce even more flavorful.

Back
Top Bottom