Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, try this...

My hubby usually makes ours and I just asked him what he does and his reply was:

500g mince
can diced tomatoes
squirt worchestershire sauce
squirt bbq sauce
minced garlic
cracked pepper
rock salt (i think you call it kocher)
saute one onion and one capsicum

cook all together
if the sauce is too watery pour some out and let reduce, otherwise add some cornflour to thicken.

from the sauces to the salt and pepper, add to taste.

My husband is not a great herb fan but this is quite tasty. You could even add a little ketchup as well if you wanted.:chef:

Why don't you just use a can of crushed tomatoes and then you can add what you do want rather than trying to remove the taste of something that has been added to a jarred sauce?

Like others, I totally agree with this. But buy the VERY BEST quality crushed tomatoes you can. Not worth the effort, otherwise. Even better, buy a good can of REAL San Marzano (Italian) tomatoes, crush them yourself, and be assured of the best quality. :)

My hubby usually makes ours and I just asked him what he does and his reply was:

500g mince
can diced tomatoes
squirt worchestershire sauce
squirt bbq sauce
minced garlic
cracked pepper
rock salt (i think you call it kocher)
saute one onion and one capsicum

cook all together
if the sauce is too watery pour some out and let reduce, otherwise add some cornflour to thicken.

from the sauces to the salt and pepper, add to taste.

My husband is not a great herb fan but this is quite tasty. You could even add a little ketchup as well if you wanted.:chef:

LOL! This recipe reminds me that if you get two cooks together, they'll totally disagree on what makes a GOOD spaghetti sauce.

And reminds me of 30 years ago, when I first met my future wife. She came over to my place to cook spaghetti, and when she placed it on the table, I took one bite and spit it out, saying, "What the heck is this???"

I've done the cooking ever since. :LOL::LOL:

I think San Marzano tomatoes are the best, also. You pay more for them, but they are delicious and make a great sauce.

What we do is the following: cut up an onion, heat up some oil in a pan, then fry the onion until transluscent. Then I cut up a red pepper, and sometimes I add garlic to the onion depends on my mood. I put in a carton of tomato sauce (passatta [sieved tomatoes here] or possibly it is called crushed tomatoes in America). Then I add the red pepper, and some paprika, and salt and ground black pepper to taste. The last thing I add is the basil and oregano, but if you don't like them, don't add them. This sauce is good without the basil and oregano.

Last edited:
i start with jarred sauce with meat as a base, then i add more meat, fried onions, garlic . onion powder, taste and adjust with garlic powder. red pepper flakes. sun dried tomatoes, packed dry. bay leaf. as it begins to be done, check, taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary per my taste i had italian spices/

try and taste, my motto

babetoo:chef::chef:

Last edited:
Grow your own tomatoes. Thats the best, not a can. It's not hard.... they grow, you water. Easier than a trip to the store if you ask me.
But I suppose nobody did.... :)

Grow your own tomatoes. Thats the best, not a can. It's not hard.... they grow, you water. Easier than a trip to the store if you ask me.

I've grown a lot of tomatoes over the years. I've canned a lot, frozen some, and experimented with sauces, crushed, whole, stewed, etc. But I have to admit that I've never put up a batch of tomatoes as good as a can of REAL San Marzano tomatoes! LOL!

I don't like a lot of spices in spaghetti AND I don't always want to make my own...does anyone have a suggestion how I might "doctor" up a jar of sauce so that the oreganio and basil isn't so strong? :ohmy:

I believe you'll like the original style Prego, and I don't think you'll find it too strong. But if you do, add an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, or a can of drained, diced tomatoes per jar of Prego sauce.

I use meat Ragu then add onion powder, garlic powder, a little italian seasoning,and some tomato past to thicken it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom