"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #31
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I will continue making my own also. I just find it so strange when all the good ingredients are available and so easy to make that someone would buy this.
Recipes are so ready avaliable now days with all the cooking shows and the internet that even beginner cooks should be able to make. think it was one of the first things I learn to make when I was 12 or 13
I agree. One of the great things about summer is that all of the ingredients to make a quick pasta sauce are readily available from the garden or farm market. This time of year, we almost always have a basket full of tomatoes sitting on the counter. And I grow my own herbs in pots on the deck. Chop a few vegetables, snip a few herbs, and you have a sauce. It couldn't be any more convenient. Packets of stuff are not needed.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
Head Chef
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I have come across Spegetti Sauce Mix, which is a seasoning pkg that you add to can or fresh tomatoes or even can tomato sauce. The brand I saw was McCormicks and Lawerys. I have never heard of it and was just curious if anyone has ever used it and what were their thoughts. I always make my own.
I, sort of, got the impression you were thinking about trying it. I make my own. The best, was a recipe I made in 7th or 8th grade in Home Economics. Very simple & delicious. Wish I saved the recipe.

Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Eons ago, when I was growing up, my mom used the packets. In a small Northern town with a short growing season, there were no farmers markets, limited grocery produce, and no source of fresh herbs. Nowadays, everyone has access to all sorts of great stuff, so there probably is no reason to use the packets anymore!

Heh. Like Chief Longwind, I too remember loving the Chef Boyardee pizza kits. One of the first things I learned to cook as a kid.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
My mother also always used the packets. I too make my own sauce. I use homecanned or fresh tomatoes. I grow pots of herbs indoors in the winter. And, have a bay tree that I bring in (it is only about 18 inches tall) every fall so I have fresh bay leaves year around.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #35
Head Chef
NO ! NOt trying it - Never had that in mind, I was just curious as I never saw it before.
You right about this time of the year tomatoes are so plentiful.
I love to take the grape or romas and cut them in 1/2 place on baking sheet, salt pepper, chopped garlic, onions rough cut, olive oil bake in oven till they soften
Then I either cook up some pasta and add some fresh basil to the tomates and serve over the pasta as is or I will put the baking sheet of tomatoes juice and all with some fresh basil and blend in the food processer or the blender. Makes a great fresh sauce. Or rough chop them when they come out of the oven and add some fresh cut onions cilantro and make a great salsa.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #36
Executive Chef
We have a large inventory of herbs and spices and I enjoy using a variety of them to flavor my sauces. For example and variety, I like a touch of toasted coriander and fennel seeds, oregano, some whole black and green peppercorns, hot red pepper flakes in some of my sauces

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote

spaghetti, sauce