Spaghetti Sauce Recipe: Your Thoughts/Feedback/Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PolishedTopaz said:
Okie dokie.....Cook beef IN MILK [1 1/4cups]till all milk is gone breaking up big pieces. remove from pot, peppers, onions and garlic 7-10 mins. [low heat EVOO] paste med heat [toasting as per prior post] canned tomatoes and porcini lower heat long simmer. [Dried or fresh??? you didn't say and it would make some [not much] difference.] Best of luck!:)

The porcini's will be dried. I notice you said soak in hot water for 20-30 minutes. How hot should the water be, and does it matter what i soak them in? Can i soak them in a sauce pot? or how a bout a big plastic bowl. I have no glass bowls at the moment.

PolishedTopaz said:
ok...Use a pot like you would for soup deeper is good. Heavier is better. NO STAINLESS STEEL for tomato products..

Why not?

IMO, stainless is perfect for sauce.

Although, I use a LC french oven most times.

Other than that, i agree with your post 100%

jennyema said:
Why not?

IMO, stainless is perfect for sauce.

Although, I use a LC french oven most times.

Other than that, i agree with your post 100%

LOL Jen my bad ..... I got confuzzled SS and alluminum.:rolleyes:

As hot as your house water is, generally 130-140 whatever sized bowl you have makes no diff. I am assuming about 1 oz mushrooms? So 3/4-1c. water, just eyeball it. Add in with canned tomatoes.

Last edited:
Mylegsbig said:
The porcini's will be dried. I notice you said soak in hot water for 20-30 minutes. How hot should the water be, and does it matter what i soak them in? Can i soak them in a sauce pot? or how a bout a big plastic bowl. I have no glass bowls at the moment.

Soak in hot tap water for 20-30 minutes in any container that works. Plastic bowl is fine. PT is right -- save the strained soaking water. I usually reduce the soaking water by about half to concentrate the taste, but you dont have to.

I also chop the rehydrated porcinis very fine before adding to sauce.

PolishedTopaz said:
LOL jen my bad ..... I got confuzzled SS and alluminum.:rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO: I suspected that, but wondered if you had another reason?? You're right, not aluminum or uncoated cast iron for the sauce!

jennyema said:
Soak in hot tap water for 20-30 minutes in any container that works. Plastic bowl is fine. PT is right -- save the strained soaking water. I usually reduce the soaking water by about half to concentrate the taste, but you dont have to.

I also chop the rehydrated porcinis very fine before adding to sauce.

ah ha! Thanks for that final tip too... i think i'm almost ready for this.... wait.. i got an idea... how about i add some red wine to the Mushroom water, and make a reduction? Any idea how much red wine i should use?

I can't reduce the mushroom water and red wine in the same pot as the onions peppers and garlic can i? Woudl i have to use separate pot?

How would i stir in this wine-mushroom water reduction into the sauce? Before or after i put in the tomato paste???????

OK, here's some science.

Some flavor components in food dissolve only in water. Some only in oil. But all are soluable in alcohol. So, alcohol (eg, wine) is often added not just for the flavor of the wine, but for the additional flavor components in food that alcohol brings out.

Alcohol works special magic on tomatoes. This is why you often see wine added to tomato sauce. It's also the origin of vodka sauce.

I would suggest not reducing the wine first, as you will lose some of the alcohol. It's usually a good rule of thumb to add the alcohol after the tomatoes are in the pan. Add alcohol to tomatoes and cook, rather than cooking the alcohol first then adding tomatoes.

I usually put the porcini water in with the canned tomatoes.

Then I add some red wine. Never use "cooking wine" from the supermarket. Use real wine. Doesn't have to be fancy-shmancy, just drinkable.

I brown my hamburger, onions and garlic ( lots of chopped garlic) in a large sauce pan. I start with the hamburger when it's about half way brown I add the chopped onions and then right before the onions are done I add the garlic. Then add chopped celery, chopped green pepper, fresh sliced mushrooms and some more onion and mix it all together. Then I add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Then salt, pepper, oregano, sweet basil, thyme, and parsley. If I have fresh herbs I'll use them but, dry works fine. Amounts all depend on taste. If I think the sauce is bitter I'll add some sugar just a very small at a time though. Boil noodles and then throw sauce on top.

jennyema said:
OK, here's some science.

Some flavor components in food dissolve only in water. Some only in oil. But all are soluable in alcohol. So, alcohol (eg, wine) is often added not just for the flavor of the wine, but for the additional flavor components in food that alcohol brings out.

Alcohol works special magic on tomatoes. This is why you often see wine added to tomato sauce. It's also the origin of vodka sauce.

I would suggest not reducing the wine first, as you will lose some of the alcohol. It's usually a good rule of thumb to add the alcohol after the tomatoes are in the pan. Add alcohol to tomatoes and cook, rather than cooking the alcohol first then adding tomatoes.

I usually put the porcini water in with the canned tomatoes.

Then I add some red wine. Never use "cooking wine" from the supermarket. Use real wine. Doesn't have to be fancy-shmancy, just drinkable.

Alright i think im ready. How much wine should i put in?
Just a few hours until game time!! I know all these tips are going to pay off bigtime.

To answer your question tho no more than 1/2 c. for this amount of sauce. No doubt you have started your sauce already. Again...... best of luck. We are sure that it will be just fine. BUT do tell how it turned out.

Last edited:
I swear by Michael Chaiarello's mom's tomato sauce. You don't have to go by it exactly as far as spices, but I like the process in which he makes it, by reducing the tomato juice and intensifying the flavor before adding the tomato pulp. This recipe is very fresh and simple.

I used this sauce the other day in his puttanesca pasta and it was spectacular.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]My Mother's Tomato Sauce [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Ingredients [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif](Makes about 3-1/2 cups)

1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 bay leaf
Sea salt, preferably gray salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Directions

Open the can of tomatoes and pour the juice into a bowl. Use the lid to press against the tomatoes to extract as much juice as possible. Put the tomatoes in a separate bowl, then use your hand to squeeze the tomatoes to a pulp. Reserve the juice and pulp separately. Fill the empty can half full with water and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over moderately high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden. Add the tomato juice and bring to a boil. Simmer rapidly until the juice thickens, then add the crushed tomato pulp, the half can of water, the bay, and salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the mixture thickens and reduces to about 3 1/2 cups, 30 to 45 minutes, adding the oregano halfway through. Discard the bay leaf.

[/font]

Okay guys the ordeal is over. Let me tell you, this was the most amazing spaghetti dinner ever. By far the best it's ever came out for me, and my girlfriend agrees. I want to thank you all for your input. Just to put it on the record, here is exactly what i did.

I cooked 1.25 lbs of Ground Round Beef, seasoned with salt, pepper, and some worchestershire. I then drained.

I sauteed 3 cloves of garlic in 2 tablespoon olive oil, for 3 minutes.This was on low heat.

I added finely chopped onion and bellpepper, about 3/4 of the full vegetable each. I sauteed for about 8 minutes, until onion started to clear. This was on medium heat.

I added one small can of imported Tomato paste, and cooked on medium, until paste darkened.

I added 1/3 cup of Merlot Rosemount Estates wine, and about 1/4 cup of Juices from Soaking Porcini mushrooms.

I added 1 28 oz can of Muir Glen whole tomatoes, crushed by hand.

I added in .5 OZ of Rehydrated Porcini Mushrooms(bought them dried.

I added good sized amount, on the wing, of Ground Sea Salt, and Ground Black Pepper.

I added a pinch of Dried Thyme.

I added a couple pinches of Cayenne Pepper.

I stirred frequently, and cooked the sauce for around 2 hours.

For the last 10 minutes, i added in half a bunch of Fresh Basil.

I served with home made garlic bread and thin spaghetti cooked al dente.

IT WAS DELICIOUS, and my best ever, and thanks to all of you.

Any reccomendations, comments, critiques?

I would usually use carrot, celery, onion and garlic (all finely diced). Sweat these of over a very low heat, as you don't want the colour or bitterness that a high heat will produce. Add enough dry red wine to cover the vegetables and a splash of balsamic vinegar (for richness) then blend to a puree. Remove this puree then brown mince (hamburger?), mince should contain a little fat as the low/no fat varieties will collapse and leave your sauce with no body. Add the puree back into the pot and then add tomatoes (fresh is best but tinned will work fine), torn oregano and basil leaves, a little nutmeg, a pinch of sugar (this rounds out the acidity in the tomato) and plenty of ground white pepper and sea salt flakes. Try this recipe, even though it may seem a little more complicated the results will wow even the most Italian of MOMA'S.

Congratulations!!!

:chef: :chef: <--- You

If you liked it, I would not change a thing, except maybe trying new herbs (eg, oregano, parsley) or other small touches (adding fresh musrooms, subbing half pork for half the beef, etc) until you think you have perfected it.

Sounds like you had a great dinner!

My only advice would be to make a double batch next time! LOL!!!

good deal legs!!!! sounds like you made a spicy meat sauce.like jennyema said, now you are ready to try small tweaks to see how it changes your sauce. you'll eventually find a few combos that you like, and the types of meats and pastas that they go well with.

Over the years, I had to tweak my sauce due to problems with my stomach and with spices. For some reason, as I have aged, I can't take much spice anymore with digestive issues.

So my sauce has become milder and a tad sweeter.

The only spagetti that I make that is different than what's mainstream is something I picked up from my sister... using a lot of fresh veggies including carrots, onions, celery, garlic, squash and whatever else I have on hand. I havent made this kind in like 2 years though... most americans I've had taste it react very negatively to all those veggies with their ground beef.

What a fantastic thread! Plenty of good ideas here.

I make different sorts. Spaghetti Bolognese is what it is called here, a red pasta sauce with ground beef and chopped veggies. There are so many ways to cook 'red' sauce.

My favorite to make is with fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion, zucchini, fresh basil and shavings of peccorino.

This is then served with the really fine spaghetti.

During the work week I have been known to buy a jar of prepared sauce and add to that. It is of course nothing like what Mom used to make!

Pam

Back
Top Bottom