"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
Okie dokie.....Cook beef IN MILK [1 1/4cups]till all milk is gone breaking up big pieces. remove from pot, peppers, onions and garlic 7-10 mins. [low heat EVOO] paste med heat [toasting as per prior post] canned tomatoes and porcini lower heat long simmer. [Dried or fresh??? you didn't say and it would make some [not much] difference.] Best of luck!
The porcini's will be dried. I notice you said soak in hot water for 20-30 minutes. How hot should the water be, and does it matter what i soak them in? Can i soak them in a sauce pot? or how a bout a big plastic bowl. I have no glass bowls at the moment.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
ok...Use a pot like you would for soup deeper is good. Heavier is better. NO STAINLESS STEEL for tomato products..
Why not?

IMO, stainless is perfect for sauce.

Although, I use a LC french oven most times.

Other than that, i agree with your post 100%

Old 03-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Why not?

IMO, stainless is perfect for sauce.

Although, I use a LC french oven most times.

Other than that, i agree with your post 100%
LOL Jen my bad ..... I got confuzzled SS and alluminum.

As hot as your house water is, generally 130-140 whatever sized bowl you have makes no diff. I am assuming about 1 oz mushrooms? So 3/4-1c. water, just eyeball it. Add in with canned tomatoes.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
The porcini's will be dried. I notice you said soak in hot water for 20-30 minutes. How hot should the water be, and does it matter what i soak them in? Can i soak them in a sauce pot? or how a bout a big plastic bowl. I have no glass bowls at the moment.

Soak in hot tap water for 20-30 minutes in any container that works. Plastic bowl is fine. PT is right -- save the strained soaking water. I usually reduce the soaking water by about half to concentrate the taste, but you dont have to.

I also chop the rehydrated porcinis very fine before adding to sauce.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
LOL jen my bad ..... I got confuzzled SS and alluminum.
I suspected that, but wondered if you had another reason?? You're right, not aluminum or uncoated cast iron for the sauce!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Soak in hot tap water for 20-30 minutes in any container that works. Plastic bowl is fine. PT is right -- save the strained soaking water. I usually reduce the soaking water by about half to concentrate the taste, but you dont have to.

I also chop the rehydrated porcinis very fine before adding to sauce.
ah ha! Thanks for that final tip too... i think i'm almost ready for this.... wait.. i got an idea... how about i add some red wine to the Mushroom water, and make a reduction? Any idea how much red wine i should use?

I can't reduce the mushroom water and red wine in the same pot as the onions peppers and garlic can i? Woudl i have to use separate pot?

How would i stir in this wine-mushroom water reduction into the sauce? Before or after i put in the tomato paste???????
Old 03-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #27
Master Chef

OK, here's some science.

Some flavor components in food dissolve only in water. Some only in oil. But all are soluable in alcohol. So, alcohol (eg, wine) is often added not just for the flavor of the wine, but for the additional flavor components in food that alcohol brings out.

Alcohol works special magic on tomatoes. This is why you often see wine added to tomato sauce. It's also the origin of vodka sauce.

I would suggest not reducing the wine first, as you will lose some of the alcohol. It's usually a good rule of thumb to add the alcohol after the tomatoes are in the pan. Add alcohol to tomatoes and cook, rather than cooking the alcohol first then adding tomatoes.

I usually put the porcini water in with the canned tomatoes.

Then I add some red wine. Never use "cooking wine" from the supermarket. Use real wine. Doesn't have to be fancy-shmancy, just drinkable.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I brown my hamburger, onions and garlic ( lots of chopped garlic) in a large sauce pan. I start with the hamburger when it's about half way brown I add the chopped onions and then right before the onions are done I add the garlic. Then add chopped celery, chopped green pepper, fresh sliced mushrooms and some more onion and mix it all together. Then I add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Then salt, pepper, oregano, sweet basil, thyme, and parsley. If I have fresh herbs I'll use them but, dry works fine. Amounts all depend on taste. If I think the sauce is bitter I'll add some sugar just a very small at a time though. Boil noodles and then throw sauce on top.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
OK, here's some science.

Some flavor components in food dissolve only in water. Some only in oil. But all are soluable in alcohol. So, alcohol (eg, wine) is often added not just for the flavor of the wine, but for the additional flavor components in food that alcohol brings out.

Alcohol works special magic on tomatoes. This is why you often see wine added to tomato sauce. It's also the origin of vodka sauce.

I would suggest not reducing the wine first, as you will lose some of the alcohol. It's usually a good rule of thumb to add the alcohol after the tomatoes are in the pan. Add alcohol to tomatoes and cook, rather than cooking the alcohol first then adding tomatoes.

I usually put the porcini water in with the canned tomatoes.

Then I add some red wine. Never use "cooking wine" from the supermarket. Use real wine. Doesn't have to be fancy-shmancy, just drinkable.
Alright i think im ready. How much wine should i put in?
Just a few hours until game time!! I know all these tips are going to pay off bigtime.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #30
Sous Chef

To answer your question tho no more than 1/2 c. for this amount of sauce. No doubt you have started your sauce already. Again...... best of luck. We are sure that it will be just fine. BUT do tell how it turned out.

Tags
None