"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 02-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #71
Assistant Cook

I am Italian and I learned from my Mom and my Mom's best friend. You always begin w/sliced onions and crushed garlic. Heat Olive Oil in the pan, saute' your onions, then add your garlic towards the end. I NEVER use crushed tomatoes, if I do, I ALWAYS put them in a foley mill. The skins and seeds make the sauce bitter, I NEVER put skins and seeds in and those are in crushed tomates. I also do NOT use a blender as the bittrness is still in there. I no longer use tomate paste either as that makes it bitter as well. I add the tomatoes to the onion and garlic. When the sauce begins to bubble, I add, fresh or dried Basil, Italian Seasoning, Salt, Pepper. After the sauce cooks for a while, I add, grated cheese, some sugar, red wine and I always let the sauce cook for at least 4 hours. I put the meat in if I'm using meatballs and/or sausage, in then let it cook, the meat will flavor your sauce wonderfully. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes. Even one better, cook it, let it sit, cool, put in the fridge overnight and cook again the next day, it's wonderful.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #72
Head Chef

I agree with the wisdom above.

Always now use canned tomatoes. Our garden is too small to grow enough fresh tomatoes for a sauce. Have a number of farm stands about, but we have gone to the canned stuff, it is easier.

We make a large batch, and have large pots.

What we like to do is put a cheap piece of pork from the shoulder, you want a fatty cut here not the loin, in the sauce as it simmers. We just sear the outside before we place it in the sauce.

It gives the gravy a lovely flavor and you can then slice the pork roast and serve it with the pasta.

Or use it in other ways.

The pork gives the sauce a very nice flavor and the sauce gives a wonderful taste to the pork.

Just our approach, God bless.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

i absolutely love pork and veal in sugo/tomato sauce.

for pork, i usually use boneless pork rib ends. i prefer to use bone in but have had a few bad experiences with people eating bone shards.

for veal, i use shoulder chops, regular and round bone.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:53 PM   #74
Everymom

buckytom, you have a particular recipe? Or do you just wing it?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

alix, i've been meaning to write down exact amounts the next couple of times i make sauces. i usually wing it, er, i mean go with an experienced hand. (that sounds so much better. )

there's the standard sogo di pomodoro (just tomatoes, evoo, garlic and onions), and then lots of variations that build upon that, with different meats, fishes, and veggies. fra diavolo, garden veggies, veal and peppers, meatballs and sausages, pork sauce, pizza sauce, gahlic-gahlic-gahlic, cioppino style, sunday gravy (lots of meats and veggies, red wine)etc..
Old 02-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #76
Everymom

For an Irish boy you sure do talk good Italian food! Make sure you let me know when you post some of those sauce recipes. (I'm big on the wing it end of things too so you don't need to be TOO specific)

What is sunday gravy BTW?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:48 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

sunday gravy is just what it's name says. it is a long simmered pot of tomato sauce that is made on sunday morning thru the afternoon, for an early family supper.

every family probably has their own recipe, but for me, it usually includes pork and veal chunks, meatballs, pork sausages, red wine, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and whatever other meats or veggies are around.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #78
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
sunday gravy is just what it's name says. it is a long simmered pot of tomato sauce that is made on sunday morning thru the afternoon, for an early family supper.

every family probably has their own recipe, but for me, it usually includes pork and veal chunks, meatballs, pork sausages, red wine, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and whatever other meats or veggies are around.
BT:

Have you ever added pork bones to a Sunday gravy?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #79
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Tats802,
Your sauce sounds similar to mine. Have you tried roasting the onions and garlic before adding it in the sauce? It's awsome! I sautee onions for EVERYTHING then add the fresh garlic towards the end. If garlic is overcooked, it turns bitter. I'm sure you know that. This is the key to making food taste great. I boil the fresh tomatoes to get rid of the peel and take out as many seeds possible. I add a bit of light corn syrup to diminish the acidity and of course, add the herbs and 95% lean ground beef and a bit of ground Italian sausage.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
BT:

Have you ever added pork bones to a Sunday gravy?
andy, i usually use pork rib ends which contain some bones. same goes for the veal shoulder chops. the meat is cut into large chunks before all of it is browned and added to the sauce, bones included. i like to cut the meat away first, so i can remove the bones when it's finished cooking so no one gets a nasty surprise in their dish.
the round bone veal shoulder chops have a nice chunk of marrow in them that i go for first, smearing the marrow on a piece of warm crusty italian bread, dripping with butter and tomato sauce.
the house could be burning down around me, but for that minute, i wouldn't know or care.

i recently started saving veal, pork and beef bones, and their fat too, to make stocks, and to add to dishes for flavor.
unfortunately, dw went through the dwonstairs fridge recently and tossed out "all of that crap" that i was saving in the freezer.

Tags
None