Spaghetti Sauce / Red Gravy/ Tomato Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
People call What I call Speghetti Sauce different ways, Tomato Sauce, Pasta Sauce, Tomato Gravy and so on. While making my sauce last night i just wondered how everyone else made theirs. Here is mine.
Saute 1 large chopped onion with 2 gloves minced garlic
when softened add:
2 - 28 oz cans Tomato Puree /plus refill each can with water and add
1 - 18 oz can Tomato paste/ refill can with water and add
1 TBl each oregano and basil
2 Tbl Parmasan Cheese
1 Tbl Sugar
1 carrot finely grated
salt and pepper to taste
Cook uncovered on low 2 -3 hours stirring often.

If making meatballs I would add them after an hour and finish cooking stirring gently to not break meatballs.
I also will add Hot sauage. or some beef bones for flavor( just remember to take them out afterwards,
Whats your favorite way?

I make a basic red sauce with 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, 1 onion chopped, 3-4 cloves garlic minced, 1 large can San Marzano tomatoes, hand crushed, fresh basil, and if the tomatoes are too acidic (not likely) some ground fennel. dash or so chili flakes.

If making a meat sauce with beef, I keep it basic basil oriented...if going with sausage, more fennel oriented, if going bolognese--mixed meats, touch of cinnimon.

Mushrooms are by the dish if used.

tomato sauce

I really do not have a standard as far as my sauce is concerned.I go with the flow.I use different ingrediants at different times.In the summer I will make a fresh lighter sauce with fresh tomatos and in the winter i will make a heavy sauce. I use meat and don't use meat.The one thing I found is do not be afraid to experiment and put to it what you want.If you like more oregano and pepper go with it.A little sweeter sauce teaspoon sugar.Taste as you go and see what appeals to you.

Enjoy cooking:chef:

letscook,Your sauce will come out alot better if you scrap tomato puree.... pick yourself up a couple of 28 oz cans of San Marzano's at your grocer..if not those.... Muir Glen.... WHOLE PEELED TOMATOES....... trust me....i willl thank me in central NY Im sure you can find San Marzano Whole Tomatoes

also ive left meatballs in for 3 hours with no breakage..should be fine if formed right..good luck

I made a meat sauce this weekend. Spices always vary depending on what I'm in the mood for. This time, I used cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon, one of my favoite combinations.

And that original thread is extensive, with many differing approaches to tomato sauce. It just goes to show that there really is no one way to make a good sauce. There are of course techniques that will improve any sauce, but sa for the flavor, it's all subjective and depends on your own taste sensativities. Happy reading.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

thanks myleqsbig, I have made it with whole tomatoes and crushed, but the world would stop turning if the husband found a chunk of tomato in it !!!!! Thats why I switched to puree.

Mine is simple.

1 med. onion chopped finely, saute'ed in
1 Tbsp olive oil to which I add
1 28oz can of tomato sauce (just plain tomatoes puree'ed) then I add
2 cloves garlic, minced. Simmer a few minutes and add
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes and
3 Tbsp tomato paste. Stir it in and check the thickening of the sauce. Add
salt and pepper then
1 tsp Oregano and
2 tsp Italian seasoning. Check for taste and adjust accordingly, but no added sugar at all.

Like I said it is simple.

letscook said:
thanks myleqsbig, I have made it with whole tomatoes and crushed, but the world would stop turning if the husband found a chunk of tomato in it !!!!! Thats why I switched to puree.

hey- buy whole cans of San Marzano tomatoes. Whole tomatoes, 28 oz cans. blend or puree them yourself. Ive learned more than you can imagine since i joined this site, but the first anf most crucial thing i learned is if you are making a red sauce you need your base to be of either Muir Glen or San Marzano Whole Tomatoes.

TRUST ME.

Puree them yourself. Cough up 20 on a blender or just mash em up good by hand.

what brand are you using?

many canned tomatoes are great for stew and soup, but for red sauce you will be amazed at what San Marzano or Muir Glenn will do . sweet low acid
amazing...give it a try I get them at Cosco in the #10 restaurant can and portion them out or make a big batch of sauce and freeze a bunch.

I've found Muir Glen to be very acidic. Much more so than the San Marzanos I buy. I didn't care for them at all.

andy, ive noticed something similar. I didnt know acidity, not that sophisticated, i just noticed i preferred san marzano's

I'm with Andy on the MG being acidic. Also, I had a bad allergic reaction to them once.

I use San Marzano pretty much exclusively for sauce. And make sure you buy the SM's from Italy and not the kind from California.

And I agree with Big about whole tomatoes. The less processed the fruit is the better they taste. It's real easy to break up the tomatoes yourself (first with your hands and then with a spoon as the sauce cooks).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom